1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Deleted wrong partition dual booting windows 7 and xp

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by patwalsh, Aug 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. patwalsh

patwalsh Thread Starter

So i just recently created two partitions on my home pc, one keeping windows xp and i installed windows 7 on the other one. I completely got all my programs and stuff back on windows 7 and it was all set. I decided i should delete the other partition containing windows xp so the windows 7 one could have all the harddrive space. I went into the partition program i was using, changed the windows 7 partition to primary instead of logical ( i think that's what it was, i can't really remember ) then deleted the windows xp one. It had to reboot my computer, then after it was finished deleting and stuff it rebooted again but now it just takes me to a black screen that says press a key to reboot. I got a copy of a windows xp recovery disk, and tried to boot from that but nothing. I even tried switching the boot sequence, but still no luck. I really hope someone can get back to me on this one, i've just stumbled upon this site and figured someone has to have some sort of advice on this disaster haha. I'm not even too sure if this is the right spot to post this, but i hope someone can help!

|Thanks in advance:)

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Operating systems should be installed on primary partitions. So that was a mistake to begin with.

If you have a partitioning program, what is the current state of the partitions? Are they all intact and is there unallocated space? Where are the partitions and what order are they in?

You might try Startup Repair, but whether that will work depends on what you have now. Chances are you deleted the partition that had the MBR and/or the boot files.

You may be better off just removing the partitions and starting over.

3. patwalsh

patwalsh Thread Starter

I already deleted the XP partition, and it was partition magic. I can't view anything, the computer won't boot. It just takes me to the press a key to reboot screen. I can't get onto the xp partition, or the windows 7 partition

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You may be able to use your Windows 7 installation DVD or the Windows 7 System Repair disc to repair the boot for Windows 7.

5. RICKONEDEEP

RICKONEDEEP

Yea i kinda done the same i have an extensa 4420 acer but the problem is that i didnt set a recovery/restore point please help i been at this for 46 hrs

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    RICKONEDEEP, for help you need to stick with your thread.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!