1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Deleted wrong upper and lower filters :-/

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by jackmcd123, May 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jackmcd123

jackmcd123 Thread Starter

After having months of problems, my girlfriend finally got a replacement PC sent to her, but I've only gone and messed it up and now I'm in big trouble!

Upon arrival, the disk drive was not being recognized and wouldn't even open. I researched this and found it was a common problem, so attemted all the online fixes without success. Then, in another attempt, I STUPIDLY deleted the wrong upper and lower filters and now windows won't start at all.

Being a brand new computer there is no restore point to work from and, like I said, the disk drive won't even open to boot from disk!

So, is there any way I can fix the damage? All I can think of is borrowing and external disk drive and a copy of the CD, but I was hoping there might be a simpler way I can do this before the girlfriend comes home and kills me!

2. CleaverX

CleaverX

The computer very likely has a recovery environment built in, so it's just a matter of using the correct Function key during boot to access it and then do a full restore.

3. jackmcd123

jackmcd123 Thread Starter

Unfortunately as I didn't really know what I was doing following the online tutorials and they didn't say to create a restore point before editing the registry and as it was the first time the computer was turned on there is no restore point. Running a full system restore just brings up a warning that there are no restore points. Of course now I know not creating a restore point was idiotic, but you live and learn!

4. CleaverX

CleaverX

No, that is not what I meant. All new computers have a recovery partition which can be used to restore the machine in out of box condition. It is not the MS System Restore. This is a full blown factory recovery.
    Contact the manufacturer's tech support for the simple instructions. If you have any data on the machine which has not been backed up, it is likely that it will be lost. If we are dealing with Windows 8.1 you might be able to do a full refresh and keep your data. Check with the manufacturer.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147618

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice