Deleting a second copy of Windows XP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Mist

I reformatted, and installed XP again. However, I have the option to boot to 2 windows XP systems when I start my computer. The first one, the freshly installed one (which I want to keep) is fine. But, there are about 4 gigs of harddrive space unaccounted for in my C:// Drive, counting the pagefile and everything on my hard drive. Along with the prompt for the second windows at the startup, this makes me think I have 2 sets of windows installed.

However, there is no other windows folders or anything in my C:// folder. The entire contents of my C:// folder is about 5 gigs and right clicking on that shows it as 9 gigs being used. However, when I try to delete the other partition using the Windows XP CD and the reformat process, I see that there is one 9 gig partition.

So, if there are 2 operating systems installed on the same partition, but no evdience of a second operating system beyond the 4 gigs harddrive space missing. I had a lot more than 4 gigs being used before I reformatted, but I can't boot to the 2nd operating system (my old one), which makes me think that maybe it was incompletely deleted.

My question is: How do I find this phantom operating system taking up 4 gigs of space, and delete it? I know how to hide it from the boot up choices using the boot.ini, but I want my 4 gigs back!

By the looks off it, i suggset wipe everything and start again, seems like you did not do the partition process properly

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online