Deleting a USER from Vista and keeping their files for a new user?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mark069

I bought a display model laptop running Vista that had a user called OfficeDepot defined. After a few weeks I decided to create a new user called Mark (with administrator privileges) and delete the OfficeDepot user.

In the user directory I noticed that there was only a OfficeDepot folder and there was not yet a Mark folder so I created one there and copied all the files from OfficeDepot to Mark. Then when I tried to delete the OfficeDepot folder, it started to delete all of the files I had just moved to the new Mark directory so I cancelled this action.

What am I doing wrong here? Do I have to change the file ownerships from OfficeDepot to Mark manually before I try to delete the OfficeDepot folder?

K7M

Seeing as Mark now has administrative rights, why not rename OfficeDepot to Mark2, and use that account.

When you create a new user account the folders for it wont be created until you log in to that account.

mark069

Seeing as Mark now has administrative rights, why not rename OfficeDepot to Mark2, and use that account.
I could not rename the OfficeDepot folder for some reason. I could delete it but renaming wasn't permitted.

Jack, thanks for the tip about logging in to the Mark account. I think I have to famiarlize myself more with Vista user accounts. Right now I have the machine set up for one user (myself) with admin privileges and no password. I prefer to keep passwords off the machine for now because they are not needed - I use the machine at home only and passwords aren't necessary IMHO.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online