1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Deleting duplicate messages in Outlook 98?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Peter J, May 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Peter J

Peter J Thread Starter

Can anyone tell me how to identify and delete duplicate identical messages in Outlook 98, please?

I use Windows NT 4.0, and the size of my offline mailbox folder in Outlook 98 is now 150Mb containing up to three copies of all messages I've received (caused by various human errors!). If I could remove the duplicates it would halve the mailbox size and then I could do some sensible archiving.

But I can't find any guidance on being able to identify the duplicates without having to manually wade through all 5,000 messages one by one. Any bright ideas, please?

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Here's what you do.

Export your PST file to another PST file. Call it backup or something and make sure it's a good backup!

Delete all mail in all your folders. (Or create a new folder to import all the stuff into.)

Import the PST file into your Outlook (or new folder), telling it you don't want duplicates.

3. Peter J

Peter J Thread Starter

Very many thanks, Dreamboat. Why didn't I think of that!? Off to try it now, once I've managed to create enough free space for the 150Mb backup file.

Many thanks again.

4. Peter J

Peter J Thread Starter

Sorry Dreamboat, it doesn't work.

I tried exporting the Inbox (saying no duplicates) but duplicates were exported. Then after emptying the Inbox I imported the messages back again, again saying no duplicates but they all came across.

I guess the 'no duplicates' command just compares the imported/exported messages with the ones already in the destination folder, but doesn't prevent duplicate messages if they are already in the folder being imported or exported - which was my problem in the first place.

If you or anyone has any further ideas on how I can isolate duplicate messages already in the same folder I'd be very grateful.

5. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
  6. Peter J

Peter J Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll go and have a look there. If successful, I'll let you know back here.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/44463

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice