1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Deleting duplicate Operating Systems/Saving Hard Drive Space?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by JonathanLee, Jun 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JonathanLee

JonathanLee Thread Starter

A few months ago, a virus swept over my computer, and I ended up having to use a new operating system (The same Operating System (XP 2003 Home) but another copy) Now when I start up my computer, it asks me which operating system I want to use. I realize that the second one on the list is my old copy of Windows with all of my from before two months ago.
    Also, I just noticed that all of a sudden, I only have 5 GB of free space (69/74). I never had this problem before, and now I'm having trouble even running Disk Defragment (it says it wants 15% free space to run it).
    My questions are:
    How can I delete the old operating system? I can't very well get on to it. When I select that second Operating System, It takes me into safe mode. Then, when I try to log on, it immediately logs out and goes back to the log-in menu.

Is the duplicate Operating System what is taking up so much space? I would say I probably have about 45 GB of programs/documents on the old one, and 25 GB on the new one. Do I have duplicate copies of the same programs (MS Office, Windows XP, etc...)

If you could answer these questions, I would be your servant for life.

Thanks,
    Jonathan

2. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    First thing is save the data that you want off the other system..Pictures, docs, etc...

3. JonathanLee

Well, that's kind of obvious. But how do I get rid of it?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    How is your disk partitioned? In particular, are the two systems in different partitions?

If you are having difficulty answering that: Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer Management - Disk Management. Your hard drive is probably identified as "Disk 0." What does it look like, left to right. I've attached mine for reference.

Attached Files:

5. JonathanLee

It looks like it's only "Disk 0"

[​IMG]

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    OK, just one partition. Now you have to find the unwanted folders/files and delete them.

Make sure in Control Panel - Folder Options - View tab - that you have 'Display the contents of system folders' and 'Show hidden files and folders' selected; and 'Hide extensions for known file types' and 'Hide protected operating system file' not selected.

Now starting at the C: drive (open My Computer and double click on the C: drive) see what you have. You'll probably have two folders with "WINDOWS" in the name. The one that was modified today is the one you want to keep.

Next stop is the Documents and Settings folder. Here you will probably find several "duplicate" folders. Once again, the newer one is the one you want to keep.

Don't rush on these steps. You want to be sure you are deleting only stuff your really don't want.

If there are any you cannot access you will probably need to Take Ownership.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/834598

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice