1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

deleting email

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by globb, Jan 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. globb

globb Thread Starter

I'm using Microsoft outlook for email and I'm having trouble deleting messages. I've clicked the delete button that supposedly sends them to the deleted items folder, but they still remain in my inbox. I've tried moving them with the menu option "move to folder", but it just copies them over and keeps them in the inbox. I've emptied the deleted items folder, but all of my emails are still in the inbox and are readable, they're just gray instead of black. Does anyone know where they're located on the hard drive, so i can delete them with windows explorer? Thank's for your help.

2. bonlecu

bonlecu

I have the same problem and wish someone could help us. I am using Version 6 - I have a group of folders above my hotmial account folders and I cant delete them either. I changed the option to delete msgs when I exit the program hoping this would allow me to delete the msgs manually but it doesn't.

HELP

3. Del

Del

Do you get any kind or message?

4. globb

globb Thread Starter

It doesn't give me any kind of an error message, it just won't get rid of the emails.

5. Del

Del

Are you using IMAP or POP email?
    Are you highlighting the email you want to delete before you click delete?

6. globb

globb Thread Starter

It's an imap, and I'm hilighting them before I click delete. Thank's for you're help.

7. Del

Del

8. globb

globb Thread Starter

Thanks for the link. I hope it solved the other guy's problem. I have a little over 30GB of space free in my drive, so deleting any more programs probably wouldn't help. I really appreciate you're help.

9. she

she

Hi, I'm using Outlook Express on an iMac. I have one email in my inbox that I cannot delete, no matter what I do. I've highlighted it and clicked delete to no avail. I've moved it to folders, but it always somehows sneaks back into my inbox. Please help! The email is spam-an offer to win 40 lb. of lobster. I don't even like lobster! Thanks to anyone and everyone who can help me get rid of this pest once and for all. :eek:

10. infaith

infaith

I seem to be having similar problems. Can't delete a thing from OE 6. No way shape or form! This happened shortly after infection from xupiter which I got after posting questions on other tech boards. You seem to have a secure site here, could someone please offer some good advice on deleting emails, I'm getting very overloaded as I receive alot of VoiceMail forwards.

Thanks for your help.
    :confused:

11. Del

Del

You should have started a new thread, it can be very confusing trying to ride someone else's.
    Why not start a new thread and let us know what operating system you have.

12. The_Egg

The_Egg

Here's my suggested method . . .

Copy any e-mails from the inbox that you want to keep into another folder
    (right click the e-mail entry itself, and select "copy to folder")

Now, assuming you have the folder list/view open,
    right click on Inbox and select "Properties"

Here it will tell you the location on your hard drive where this file is stored.

In Win9x, this is usually somewhere like:
    C:\Windows\Application Data\Identities\{big-hex-number}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

In Win2k/XP, it's usually in:
    C:\Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\.....etc

Right clicking the Inbox folder will tell you where it is exactly.
    You will need to left click on the location and use the keyboard cursors to scroll along, or just drag the mouse to the end, hi-lite the full entry, then paste it into Notepad to see the full path.

The actual filename will be Inbox.dbx

Now for the important part . . .

Close Outlook Express

Now navigate to said folder in Explorer / My Computer
    and delete inbox.dbx

Problem solved

A new Inbox will be created next time you open OE

The procedure is pretty much the same for MS Outlook
    except the path and filename will be different.

I've got Office 2000, but only installed Word & Excel,
    so I currently don't have Outlook on my pc,
    otherwise I'd give more precise instructions.

The important part is to close Outlook / OE before deleting the actual inbox file.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114205

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice