1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Deleting Everything.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by JayJay00, Apr 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JayJay00

JayJay00 Thread Starter

Hello, I got my computer last year, and now it is really slow and I have alot of things installed. I was wondering how do you delete everything on Windows XP, so it will be brand new again with nothing on it? And btw, I bought the computer with Windows XP on it and I dont think the disk came with it.
    Thanks. (y)

2. Pancake

Pancake

If you dont have an installation disc its looking bad....They cant sell a computer without some kind of system or recovery disc included.I would contact the place of purchase.

3. JayJay00

JayJay00 Thread Starter

Well I bought it a year ago. Even if I contact them I dont they will do anything about it.
    So there is no possible way I can do this right?
    It is just going way to slow. And I think I have alot of spyware and stuff on my computer and probably anything else bad out there because I dont have an anti-virus program.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Well, look in your Startup tab in MSCONFIG and uncheck what you don't need in startup. In fact if you run HighjackThis, it can show us what you have installed.
    A lot of people to leave stuff that does not need to be in start up. Also uninstalling games and programs that you don't need helps.

Last thing is to remember to run Disc Cleanup and Defragmentation in the SYSTEM TOOLS folder in START > ACCESSORIES.

As for the CD, it may not be the original CD, but it may be called System Recovery.

5. JayJay00

JayJay00 Thread Starter

Ok I did the HiJackThis.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
    Scan saved at 4:57:11 PM, on 4/12/2004
    Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Sygate\SPF\Smc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\Program Files\NASDAK\OmniMouse Driver\2.1.23\MOUSE32A.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
    C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
    C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
    C:\PROGRA~1\WINZIP\winzip32.exe
    C:\unzipped\hijackthis[1]\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
    R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LWBMOUSE] C:\Program Files\NASDAK\OmniMouse Driver\2.1.23\MOUSE32A.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SmcService] C:\PROGRA~1\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe -startgui
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSConfig] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe /auto
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Download with Go!Zilla - file://C:\Program Files\Go!Zilla\download-with-gozilla.html
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Messenger (HKLM)
    O16 - DPF: {02BF25D5-8C17-4B23-BC80-D3488ABDDC6B} (QuickTime Object) - http://www.apple.com/qtactivex/qtplugin.cab
    O16 - DPF: {166B1BCA-3F9C-11CF-8075-444553540000} (Shockwave ActiveX Control) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/director/swdir.cab
    O16 - DPF: {41F17733-B041-4099-A042-B518BB6A408C} - http://a1540.g.akamai.net/7/1540/52...pple.com/bonnie/us/win/QuickTimeInstaller.exe
    O16 - DPF: {8AD9C840-044E-11D1-B3E9-00805F499D93} (Java Runtime Environment 1.4.1) -
    O16 - DPF: {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} (Update Class) - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/CAB/x86/unicode/iuctl.CAB?37613.3968287037
    O16 - DPF: {CAFEEFAC-0014-0001-0000-ABCDEFFEDCBA} (Java Runtime Environment 1.4.1) -
    O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab
    O16 - DPF: {F04A8AE2-A59D-11D2-8792-00C04F8EF29D} (Hotmail Attachments Control) - http://lw10fd.law10.hotmail.msn.com/activex/HMAtchmt.ocx

Anything there that is not suppose to be? Thanks for the help.

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing

This is the only thing I can see that needs to be removed.

I see that you have both QuickTime and Real opened at the same time. Unless you really need them open you should not have them running in the backround.

What is your computer specifications (for the hard drive, pls include the amount of disc space free) and have you run the Disc Cleanup and Defragmentor tool yet?

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    As for possible spyware, try running Spybot S&D, Lavasoft Ad-Aware and CWShredder. Make sure you update them via the respective programs update section. Also in my link I have AVG Antivirus Program. This is a free antivirus program, though it may not be effective as Norton. Norton doesn't cost a lot (about $30-$50) so it might be a smart move to purchase Norton.

8. JayJay00

JayJay00 Thread Starter

How do I find out my computer specifications ?
    And I do not have QuickTime and Real opened. I guess they come on when computer starts so I did turn them off in MSCONFIG.
    I did the Disk Cleanup but I dont know how to use the Defragmentor.
    Thanks alot for the help!

9. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Right click on My computer and click properties. On the first screen you will see the CPU and memory information. For the hard drive, simply go to My Computer and click ONCE on the hard drive icon (C: Drive and if there is a D: Drive with the same icon.) On the left hand side the information about the drive will be there, including the disc free space.

For Disk Defragmentor, click on the drive you want to do (in this case, the C Drive) and click Analyze. It will check you machine if you need to defrag it. After the analyzing it will tell you if you need to do it or not. If it needs to defrag, then click on Defragment

10. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    FYI, press CTRL ALT and DEL and click on processes. If you see:
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
    C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe

Then end task them.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/219526

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice