1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Deleting files after Windows Parallel Install

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cpegg, Feb 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cpegg

cpegg Thread Starter

I had to do a parallel install of Windows XP. This is a file that is left over from the first Windows install.
    I have been able to delete all of the files from the first install except this. It is in the folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\Clare\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\2DFYPY5
    I get this message: "Filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect".

In the name there is just an icon with a little box next to it, and the file type is just file.

I have tried to delete it through the safe mode, also through the cmd, check disk, and a download from Microsoft called renamer. I also downloaded and ran the Move on Boot Utilities.

Anything else I can try?

2. moper

moper

The index.dat file in the content.ie5 folder can become very large or corrupted over time. This is what I do to create a new one:
    Start
    Run
    cmd
    It will probably open to:C:\Documents and Settings\Clare
    cd locals~1
    cd tempor~1
    Now, open Task Manager(rt click the taskbar)Highlight Explorer and choose End Task. (Do not close Task Manager)
    Now back to the Command prompt:
    attrib -h -s content.ie5
    ren content.ie5 content.not
    You are now done at the command prompt. In Task Manager, click File, New Task, and type in Explorer. Content.ie5 folder will be recreated when needed. (May have to reboot.) If satisfied everything is working OK, go back in command prompt and delete Content.not.

Or, if you have multiple users, log in as another user and delete the problem content.ie5 folder.

moper

3. cpegg

cpegg Thread Starter

When I open the Task Manager the explorer is not running.

4. moper

moper

It has to be, or you wouldn't have a desktop. (explorer.exe under Processes)

moper

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!