1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Deleting files - FOR GOOD?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by jpopescu, Jan 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jpopescu

jpopescu Thread Starter

I have deleted files, then deleted out of the recycle bin

How can I make sure these files are gone and someone can not recover them....or do the recovery too easy?

is there a program I can acquire for free to do this or what can I do?

thanks

2. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

3. OBP

OBP

I agree with WhitPhil about Eraser, but if you don't mind paying and want to also remove your Web history, (if you use Internet Explorer every view of every website you have ever visited is stored in a file called Index.Dat) then have a look at Evidence Eliminator.

4. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

CCleaner performs the same function for free.

5. jpopescu

jpopescu Thread Starter

on Eraser.....downloaded the program, read the instructions but dont quite understand how it works?

I have deleted file to the recycle bin, then deleted the recycle bin contents.....Now have Erase program but dont know what to do with it?

6. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    FWiW, This program claims it can remove traces of files that have all ready been deleted. DISCLAIMER: I found it with a Google search but have never actually used it.

http://www.scar5.com/

7. OBP

OBP

jpopescu, if you read the help file of Eraser it will tell you to Select "On Demand" as your User interface.
    Then on the Main Menu Click on File>"New Task", this will display 3 options, the first option "Unused Space On Drice" is the one that you want.
    Select Drive "C" and then on the Main Menu click Task>Run Task.
    It may take quite a while to run if you have a large disk drive so it might be better to run it "overnight".

WhitPhil, thanks for the heads up on CCleaner, I have down loaded it and it definitely clears Index.dat.
    I have Index.Dat Viewer and checked it before and after CCleaner had run and it didn't clean it, because it can't, it is in use by Windows. I then Restarted the computer and "hey presto" one clean Index.dat. It is now on my list of recommended Free Programs, along with the aforementioned Viewer and Eraser.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536454

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice