Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleting Folder

Solved 
1K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  Stephank 
#1 ·
Hello. I am new to Windows 10 but have got into it well enough. However, I did something quickly and in trying to sort out the problem I created I ended up with a folder in my This PC/Folders area with a large arrow pointing downwards. It is empty. I decided to remove it but right-click doesn't offer that option. When I try to open it, I get a box saying "Location is not available". Is anyone able to shed some light on this? Thank you.

#5 ·
Hi Lunar. If I try to open it, I get the "Location is not available" message and by looking at properties, it has 0 bytes in it. It is something to do with the Download folder but I've never come across anything like it before. It's not affecting functionality otherwise and I could just leave it be.

#6 ·
Hey RayCee; I just noticed something similiar to what you are talking about today. I am using Windows 10 Home edition. I was checking some files in Documents folder. I noticed there are two identical files (Windows shows they are shortcuts.) They are named Downloads. The first was created in November of 2020, the second few days ago, and it is shown as downloads (1). I did not create these. My Downloads folder is listed under Documents. I clicked both, and they took me to the Downloads folder. Both hold only 1 byte. I have no use for them. I haven't tried to delete them yet. If I can't I won't lose sleep over it. They are so small. It is strange though.:unsure:

#10 ·
Hey Ray; I had no trouble deleting those files. Have you tried dragging & dropping that folder onto trash folder? Another thing you can do is to download paid version of Revo Uninstall program. The first 30 days (If I remember correctly) is free. You should be able to get rid of it with it. I had a free program I downloaded years ago. I no longer needed it. I simply couldn't find a way to delete it. Somebody suggested here Revo Pro. It worked.
One more thing. Your download folder is still listed below Documents, right?

Attachments

#14 ·
Just a suggestion. why not uninstall free version of Revo, and install paid version? Revo paid switches to free version eventually. Or, you can try Hermitt43's method. I saved the link he posted under my bookmarks in case I need it in the future,
Edit: Sorry, you responded to Hermitt43. I didn't realize before I posted mine.

#15 ·
Thanks for your help Stephank and all the other kind souls that contributed.

I've tried various things from suggestions on the internet. Then I rebooted the computer and everything had gone back to what they were before. When I open file explorer, on the left side, there is Quick access, then Desktop, my username file and This PC. Under my username, there are two Download folders again. If I delete one, it reverts back to not being able to open the remaining Download file. I obviously did this before which was a mistake. My subsequent fiddling has restored them back to two and they both work, although only one appears under This PC, now correctly between documents and Music.

Does it matter that I leave as is the Take Control changes I made, or more prudent to return everything to default?

I'm a late adopter of Windows 10 (only had it a couple of months) and still learning.

#16 ·
If this were my problem, I wouldn’t worry about it too much. you tried few things that didn’t help. One folder is useless and the other one is working the way it should. As you mentioned before, it is not slowing the system. Sometimes you try too hard and make things much worse. I know it too well from personal experience.

#17 ·
If this were my problem, I wouldn't worry about it too much. you tried few things that didn't help. One folder is useless and the other one is working the way it should. As you mentioned before, it is not slowing the system. Sometimes you try too hard and make things much worse. I know it too well from personal experience.
Don't we all. Thanks for the help..

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.