1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Deleting from a Network Hardrive

Discussion in 'Networking' started by gkimble, Jan 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gkimble

gkimble Account Disabled Thread Starter

When I delete something from a network hard drive, it's gone for good. Is there a way to put a recycle bin in the drive ? Or some option to retrieve the file if I want it later ? For right now I have put a folder on the desktop and called it "To be deleted later" and when I am 100% ready, I'll go in that folder and delete the stuff. Thanks for any help !!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

That's the way network file access works, you kill it, it's dead! :rolleyes: There are some 3rd party solutions to the issue, but I've never really looked into them.

3. gkimble

Thanks john glad to see your still in here..Yes, I need a 3rd party solution but haven't looked into them either. Do you know of any off the top of your head ? Thanks!!

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

5. gkimble

Thanks. I think I'm going to go with Undelete 3.0 Server.

6. fredman

fredman

Here is my lone experience with 'UNDELETE' programs:
    Folks tend to NEED them AFTER they have deleted something important.
    So you go get one of these softwares, you install it, and more often than not, it tells you to reboot after you have installed it.
    The problem here MIGHT be that when you reboot, the Swap file MAY write over what you are trying to recover/undelete, so you may not find it, it may be gone for good.
    So if you think you might need this software in the future, get it now and install it now.

7. gkimble

My reply to people like AcaCandy is.....get a real job.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115586

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice