1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Deleting from the reg?

Discussion in 'General Security' started by starchild, Oct 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

This will probably be seen as a dumb question, but I've always heard/read so much about the registry, and being careful I just wanted to make sure.

I came across what's supposedly a scan for spyware (Spyhunter 3) unlike some, it says upfront it only SCANS and doesn't remove, unless you buy it.

I decided to run it anyway and see what it would find.

It's finding what it says is spyware, and telling where it is. Some is in the registry. I once had a game in (FATE by Wild Tangent) when my grandson was here, but took it out. It has reg enteries that say SOFTWARE/WILD TANGENT etc coming up on thie scan.

If I bought the spyware program, it would take out what it finds, right?
    Why can't I just go in myself (to the registry and other places it's finding what it says is spyware) and delete them myself?

Like the Wild Tangent enteries, I no longer have the game in, and it wouldn't effect anything else, would it? I can't see how or why it would mess anything up, but I wanted to ask to be sure. Probably the enteries aren't doing anything (or really spyware?) but the program is finding things and wants you to buy it to take them out.

Almost everything it's found so far is Wild Tangent.

I periodically go in and delete cookies, anyway.

The basic question is, can I remove (myself) what the scan is saying is spyware and will be removed by the program if I bought it? If it's this simple, why would anyone pay for it?

Thanks,
    Carrie

2. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

3. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

I have and run Spybot and SuperAntiSpyware. The Wild Tangent stuff never comes up in it.
    I'll get the MalwareBytes Anti-Malware and try that.
    Thanks

4. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

The reason I was looking for ani spyware today was I kept seeing yieldmanager, and looked it up and found several programs that say they remove it (if you pay for them). Yieldmanager creates popups and I have a stopper so don't see this.
    I deleted the cookies and temp internet files and the spyware hunter I used (that scans and doesn't remove unless you buy) DIDN'T show yieldmanager.
    But, just now, after deleting all the cookies about an hour ago, I looked again and see a yieldmanager cookie (along with the ones from the tech guy because I signed in here)
    Is yieldmanager really a problem and if so, where is it coming from and how do I get rid of it?
    I put in the malwarebytes and going to run that now.

5. WhitPhil

Cookies are just text files and can not do anything malicious.

As for SpyHunter, it could have been a false positive, OR one that was shown to you just to get you to buy the product.

The programs above are reptuable apps and I would run them.

6. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

I know, but I thought if there were cookies from yieldmanager it might have something else in, elsewhere.
    I think you are right, and of course the anti spyware programs you have to pay for want you to think they are serious.
    I read in one of them if you didn't buy their program you could take out the spyware yourself BUT you risked ruining your computer for good! The directions were to go to internet options and click delete cookies (LOL)
    Anyway, I ran the Malware Bytes and it found and took out 15 things. But, nothing said Wild Tangent. I looked in my reg and the Wild Tangent is there. One entry and then component repository, DDC and Game Channel.
    It's probably not hurting anything being there, but can I just delete it?
    I see things in the registry I don't have and probably never will like earthlink listings.
    I think it might be good to learn about the registry and what I can/can't do with it.
    Are there any good (free) cleaners? I've had some before (years ago with my Win98) but it would bring up hundreds of enteries and say to be SURE before deleting them and I never knew if I should or not.
    Probably the spyware programs find anything that's not GOOD in the reg.
    I don't think the Wild Tangent enteries are spyware, even though the program made out they are.
    Thanks,
    Carrie

7. WhitPhil

Some of the programs are just looking for names in the registry (such as Wild Tangent), and when they see something called that, make the assumption that it is malicious. These could be empty keys, or keys that point to non existent files. Meaning, there is no risk.

Registry Scanners. Sure. Tons of them. A dime a dozen. Trust any of them? Few people do. Regardless, having dangling references in the registry is nothing to be concerned about.

But, if you wish a second look for Wild Tangent (which I doubt is there if the 3 apps above didn't find it), you can download, install and run HiJackThis
    Run the Scan and save log file option
    When the LOG file opens in NotePad, Select All, Copy
    Then, return here and in a reply post, Paste.

Someone can then review and confirm that your PC doesn't have WT installed.

8. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

The Wild Tangent links are there, but I now don't think they are malware. Just beause the program that wanted me to buy it to get rid of it listed them.

I had the game in FATE (by Wild Tangent) and then removed it, so it probably left them there. I've just always heard/read so much about not touching anything in the registry I didn't know if I could just delete them.

At this point I think you're right they're just left overs.

I do run HiJack this and look at it(I know what is usually there so know if something is different or looks like it shouldn't be)

I don't trust reg cleaners either.

Probaby the best bet is just to leave the reg alone and let the scans I have take anything out that shouldn't be there.

Thanks for all the responses.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755242

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice