Deleting hidden files on HD

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

asharif

I had extracted the hard disk from my old laptop (#1) and was trying to use it as an external drive to transfer data from another laptop (#2) to my new laptop (#3). When i first started with the hard disk it had 548 MB of free space. I would copy files from laptop (#2) to HD and then copy to laptop (#3) then delete the file on the HD. After many hours I realised that the free space on the HD was reduced to just 54MB. If I was deleting the files on the HD, why is there so little free space left on the disk?

How can I delete these copied file (which seem to be hidden) to get my original free disk of 548 MB. The copied files comprised of word, excel, photos and ziped documents.

Please help. I am new to all this.

you can unhide hidden files by going to my computer->Tools->Folder options->View->and click on Show hidden files and folders. but i have to warn u, make sure u know what ur deleting otherwise u could screw up ur registry

Format the drive and see what happens. I had the same thing happen to a friend's computer, I still haven't figured out why it did it.

I'm going to ask an obvious question, so don't get mad at me!

Have you emptied the "Recycle Bin" after the deletions...or used the SHIFT Key with the delete to by-pass the Bin?

If not the files are still held on the drive and the space is not truly available.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online