1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Deleting Notification Area Entries

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by doniel, Feb 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. doniel

doniel Thread Starter

After clicking on Customize (the notification area icons), how can unwanted entries be removed - not just hide them, but remove them?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Uninstalling the application should also remove the notification icon.

3. doniel

doniel Thread Starter

Not always. I've seen a way to remove the icons for uninstalled programs by removing a couple of registry entries, but that won't help me. I'm talking about programs that have not been uninstalled. Windows must be keeping a list of notification area entries somewhere. Where?

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Why do you want to do this ?

5. doniel

doniel Thread Starter

Sometimes a program minimizes itself to the tray instead of exiting. Its icon is then automatically added to the Notification Area entries even though it really doesn't belong there and it annoys the heck out of me!

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sometimes Windows seems to get confused about when it's supposed to be displaying one of those icons. When encountering that annoyance I've usually had good luck with changing the setting and then setting it back the way I want it to be. Have you tried that as a workaround to getting rid of the notification entirely?

7. doniel

doniel Thread Starter

There's no problem hiding the icon. I just like everything to be neat and clean. As an example, I just spent some time hacking the registry to get rid of unwanted right-click entries placed there by programs that don't ask permission to do so. I want the same for the Notification Are entries.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1223205

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice