Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleting primary account in outlook 2010

4K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Triple6 
#1 ·
I have multiple accounts in outlook 2010 and recently changed them from POP to IMAP so they synch. automatically with other devices. But I can't delete the original account (the primary account). What I would like to do is delete the original POP email primary account and its data files, designate another account as the primary and re-load the old primary as a new IMAP account with a new set of data files. Any ideas?

#2 ·
Go to Control Panel, open Mail, and create the new IMAP account, then use the Set Default button to make it the default account. Once you create it and open Outlook you can move/copy any emails or contacts over to the new account, then you can go back to Mail in the Control and delete the old account and delete the old Outlook data file if you want.

If there's nothing in the old account that you want to save/move over then you can delete the POP account and the Outlook data file first and then create the IMAP account.

#3 ·
Thanks Triple 6. Have deleted/copied files so that primary account data files are empty. Can't delete data files as is default delivery address and change delivery address is disabled. Can't delete account in outlook 2010 as delete primary account not allowed and cant find account in control panel in windows 10.
In case its relevant the accounts show up in outlook as, old pop acct xxx@yyy and new imap acct is xxx@yyy(1). Got any more ideas, thanks.

#4 ·
You don't need to delete the data file. Just setup the new account and use it. Outlook 2010 needs a PST if you have use IMAP for calendar and contact info. You can rename the old PST file, or create a new one and set it as the default then remove the old one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.