1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

deleting primary partition....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ChfTx, Sep 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ChfTx

ChfTx Thread Starter

scavanged Micron, P2, 400MHz, 128 RAM, OP...? ( can't get that far)

am fdisking the hard drive first thing and can't delete Primary Partition.......have to enter a volume label and I've tried everything on the screen and I get "Volume Label Does Not Match"......?

now, I've downloaded a program called "Wipe" that I found in another thread, and the thread says to follow the directions carefully.....but there aren't any!

Am I on the right track?...If so, what do I do next?

Thanks all.....

2. thib4

thib4

when it shows you the partition
    at the top it will have volume label and underneath it, it will give you the volume label

type it exactly as you see it

3. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

OK...,when you were using the drive in Windows (like in "My Computer"),do you remember if it was "named"? Something like "MainDrive" or "BigOlDrive",or anything like that??? The volume label is/was the "Name" of the drive...
    If it was not named at all,it would have only shown the drive letter 'C:' (or whatever drive it was) and all you need to do is press enter and it takes it as unnamed and will proceed with the partitioning processes.

4. Romulus

Romulus

If nothing shows then you haven't named your partition. In that case you'll leave that field empty and just press Enter.

5. ChfTx

ChfTx Thread Starter

This computer wasn't mine, this is the first time I've been into it and it was messed up when I got it. It's never booted to Windows so I have no idea what was in "MY Computer". However, I did delete 1 logical and 1 extended partition, just am having trouble with the primary.

The volume label is entered at the top as Drive "C" (I can't remember the exact volume cuz I'm not at home right now, but it's not much) and it says 15%. I typed in the number it said was on the drive..tried the "15%".......tried "ALL"...tried nothing and just hitting "ENTER".....................all with the same result........... "Volume label does not match"...???

I know it's still there cuz when I tried to create one, it told me so....AND it's still listed

Can anybody help me with this "WIPE" utility? Will this do the trick? I get quite a few computers like this one and thought this may be a helpful tool to have around...any thoughts?

Thanks!!

6. mobo

mobo

Two things:
    Is there more than one drive, and if so you have to delete the extended first.

Don't enter a volume label just click enter and try it

7. ChfTx

ChfTx Thread Starter

There's only one drive and all other partitions are deleted.....

I've tried not entering a volume.......it doesn't work.

Thanks MB

8. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

Ok...,well how about just formatting that partition as it is? Do you really NEED to delete it? Or can you format it,load an OS on it and then simply check the drive's name (volume label) and start over?

9. mobo

mobo

10. Krall

Krall

Try using a program called Partition Magic. It is a must have for anyone working on computers. www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic it is $70 to buy but they have a free trail download you can use for now.

11. mobo

mobo

Does that trial version actually allow you to execute the commands ?

12. Krall

Krall

Actually the version 8 evaluation allows you to see what it is like but no changes are implemented. I thought it was full function for 30 days. I just went and bought the full version . never tried the trial copy.

13. mobo

mobo

I remember having an earlier trial version and the same thing , but in any event the Maxtor utility should more than adequately do the job.

14. ChfTx

ChfTx Thread Starter

(y) Thanks mb!!

PowerMax worked great.....

I love this site...life is good again

15. mobo

mobo

Excellent, now keep that tool in your arsenal for future use if ever needed.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!