Solved Deleting Programs/Apps

connie189

Hi

I would like to delete game apps and some other programs that came installed in my ASUS computer.

I still have problems with my computer when I type (lag time) and was told it might be memory-oriented.

My last resort now is to delete the above items. My husband thinks this might help somewhat, but he is unsure/hesitant to go it alone helping delete these things without some assistance.

Would there be a specific way to gain access to delete; when I click on the apps, no "delete program/app" window comes up.

Also, do all computer manufacturers now randomly install on personal computers programs/apps that you may not want, eating up valuable space??

Thanks! :)

connie189

Sorry; just brain dead today. o_O Is there a way to move this message where it belongs?

Couriant

James
Just click on the Report link at the bottom left of the message.
I have moved this thread to the correct forum.

For Windows 10, you would need to click on each program listed in Apps to see Uninstall.

Also, do all computer manufacturers now randomly install on personal computers programs/apps that you may not want, eating up valuable space??
Yes, most of them do.

Would there be a specific way to gain access to delete; when I click on the apps, no "delete program/app" window comes up.
It depends.

For desktop programs (non store apps) go to:
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features

And uninstall unwanted programs.

For store apps, right click store app in start menu and select "uninstall"

This is the easy way.
If this doesn't work for some apps/programs you'll need to boot into safe mode, take ownership of installation directory, set permissions recursively, delete root directory and manually clean up registry.

This is advanced method to remove programs with a lot of steps and requires some intuition if nothing else works, it's not recommended to do it on your own.

To remove unwanted/remnant services that are leftover you'll have to use sc.exe to remove them.
Removing shortcuts, start menu items, temporary user files and program data leftovers must also be done manually.

To remove store apps which can't be uninstalled you'll have to use PowerShell.

As you can see a lot of things to do, and no steps so far because it would take 2 pages to write them all down.

connie189

Thank you, everyone, for the great guidance on how to remove the apps. And the warning about some being tricky.

Hubby just informed me that he "did what he could" a couple of weeks ago re removing the apps he could, and then felt hesitant with the remaining few and still feels that way. He asked if I could live with the ones still on, rather than mess things up trying to remove them.

It just sticks in my craw that companies install this stuff that a) I don't want and b) am not interested in. They could be upfront about what they sneakily installed. :LOL:

re: Revo.. I also use it to uninstall nearly all of the annoying Apps that are delivered with W10.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online