1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Deleting Registry Entries

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by ebony, May 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ebony

ebony Thread Starter

I have Windows 7 Pro installed. I installed Roxio on trial a while ago and then decided to uninstall. I decided to uninstall any registry items left but found there were too many to do one at a time. I installed Reg Seeker and found 112 Roxio items. I uninstalled these from the registry and did another search. 112 items came up again. I did this several times but can't get rid of the Roxio entries.I also tried in Safemode with the same results. any ideas?

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Try the free Revo Uninstaller. If it can't find the program, reinstall Roxio and uninstall it again with Revo.

3. ebony

ebony Thread Starter

I used Revo Uninstaller initially to remove the Roxio program but it left me with all these registry entries. I tried to reinstall Roxio but it won't install. It gives me a choice of Deleting or Repairing the program but won't do either when I click on it.

4. Phantom010

If you're not planning on reinstalling Roxio, and those registry entries aren't interfering with anything else, I would leave them there. You won't even notice them. There is nothing to be gained by cleaning a registry. You'll do much more harm than good, believe me.

5. ebony

ebony Thread Starter

I decided to try Roxio again but I can't install.

6. Phantom010

Often, the registry entries are left there to facilitate the reinstall. By manually deleting them, you sort of messed things up. Have you tried a System Restore, hoping you'll at least get back the deleted registry entries?

It's always a good idea to back up your registry before "messing" with it.

7. ebony

ebony Thread Starter

When I try to istall I get a choice between Remove or Repair. Any one of these two gives the message "Unable to find real certificate file". Was this in the registry?

8. Rache

Rache Banned

Try using CCleaner to uninstall completely. The remaining registry entries are preventing an install.

9. ebony

ebony Thread Starter

I used CCleaner then scanned for Roxio,nothing but still get the same response when I try install.

10. brent2

brent2

I am sure you still have registry entries installed and u need to find them. Always back up what you are about to delete just in case they need restoring. I use Registry first aid to find reg entries and it works very well, there may be a trial download you could use as it is shareware. Although it was I think being given away recently as a new version came out, worth a web search.

11. ebony

ebony Thread Starter

The program doesn't let me search for a single word,just strings. I'm not sure what to search for in the registry.

12. brent2

brent2

In registry first aid u can search for single names, just go to "Registry search" on opening the program. Just need to enter one word and it will search and find all references.
    BUT do be very careful, as a mistake could ruin your computer, AND always backup deletions just in case your computer goes wrong, then u can restore them to get it up & working again.
    I have rescue cd's that will, in case my pc will not boot let me gain entry to it & put things right.

13. mtzlplex

mtzlplex Account Closed

Why do I think this is going to end up in disaster. Please leave your registry alone, I will repeat what others much smarter than I have said, there is nothing to be gained, and a lot to be lost.

14. ebony

ebony Thread Starter

I think your right. I'll try something else.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!