1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Deleting temporary Files

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by Prof, Sep 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Prof

Prof Thread Starter

Is it a good idea to delete temporary files using the information below? Just wanted to check before using it, and others might find it useful. Many thanks!

"Removing Temporary Internet Files, History, Cookies and Temp Files :

What I do is I have these few lines of code in my Autoexec.bat file (this file is accessed during boot up) that automatically delete both these files when I turn the computer on. To use this method simply cut and paste this code into your Autoexec.bat file :

@ECHO OFF
    IF EXIST C:\WINDOWS\SMARTDRV.EXE C:\WINDOWS\SMARTDRV.EXE 2048 16
    IF EXIST C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\*.* DELTREE /Y C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\*.* > NUL
    IF EXIST C:\WINDOWS\COOKIES\*.* DELTREE /Y C:\WINDOWS\COOKIES\*.* > NUL
    IF EXIST C:\WINDOWS\RECENT\*.* DELTREE /Y C:\WINDOWS\RECENT\*.* > NUL
    IF EXIST C:\WINDOWS\HISTORY\*.* DELTREE /Y C:\WINDOWS\HISTORY\*.* > NUL
    IF EXIST C:\WINDOWS\TEMPOR~1\*.* DELTREE /Y C:\WINDOWS\TEMPOR~1\*.* > NUL

To edit your Autoexec.bat file to add this code go to Start/Find type Autoexec.bat in the search box and then right click on the file once it has been found and click on Edit. If you only want to delete these files every now and again remove the code after one full boot up and everything will return to normal when you reboot"

2. pgriffet

pgriffet

AMHA, it's not a good idea because your surf will be slower and all the sites you are visiting each day have to download on your PC all the gifs and jpegs which are the same as yesterday.
    The cache has to be cleaned but certainly not at every boot.
    My 2 cents.

3. Bvr01Fvr

Bvr01Fvr

Looks good to me! Good idea...and I might add a few other index.dat files to the list if it works well!:)

I tried this out and it doesn't work on my computer. :( I guess I will have to continue running a batch in safe mode with command prompt to delete such files.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Some of us have broadband, so a few graphic downloads aren't an issue. :D:D:D

5. pgriffet

pgriffet

Hi john, I do have broadband. The display within IE is (should be) faster and the Internet bandwidth is relieved, the webmaster of the site you visit will also thanks you. So everybody is happy. :D
    There are millions of people surfing everyday. Can you imagine if everybody delete his cache everyday ? All that useless Internet traffic ? I have already seen people complain about the "slow Internet" but they clean their cache everyday. So they are partially responsible for this slowness. Just my 2 cents.

But you are right, with DSL/Cable it takes longer to search for a 1 KB file among thousand files on disk than download it from the site. So it's not necessary to clean the cache everyday, even for broadband users.
    For performance reasons, you have to clean the TIF sometimes and also delete some locked files.

6. Bvr01Fvr

Bvr01Fvr

The real issue with Internet bandwidth are the spammers. But compare spammers to the RIAA. They both want your money so they aren't going to go away.

7. Pumptech

Pumptech

I don't know, the easyest way I've found to get rid of .tmp files, is to go to start/run/find and search *.tmp. Select all and delete. Only do it about once a week, depending on what kind of time i've spent on the comp or what new installs i've done, seems to be enough.

8. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    PumpTech:

Besides deleting everything under:

*.TMP

Don't forget:

C:\TEMP\*.* (If this folder is present)

C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\*.*

And I always recommend rebooting your computer first, just to make sure that none of your temp files are in use.

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips

9. Prof

Prof Thread Starter

Is it safe to delete all the temp files in C:\WINDOWS\TEMP*.* ?
    Thanks

10. rameam

rameam

I picked these up somewhere. They may be the same as you others have mentioned:

*.tmp,~*.*,*.chk

%temp%

delete all files found.

11. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Look at my article, "Throwing Out The Trash", and you'll see a list of files that are safe to delete.

I, for one, hate to have a computer full of useless junk. :(

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips

12. panzer999

panzer999

Thanks Prof...that's a GEM!

13. Prof

Prof Thread Starter

Your welcome panzer999 and thanks flavallee for the "throwing out the trash" Tips. I really cleaned out the files.......hope the computer starts in the morning. Ha!Ha!

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164517

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice