1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell 1.86 proc clocked at 800mhz???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by darkelf_18, Jul 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. darkelf_18

darkelf_18 Thread Starter

Hey guys... Realized that I haven't been on here in nearly two years hahaha. Fell away from the tech world sadly.
    Anyways I have got a problem that I hope the always brilliant minds of TSGF can solve...

I bought a Dell Inspiron 9300 a couple years or so ago. And the proc was supposed to be a 1.86(which ran great when I first bought it), but I am running a utility to monitor the temps/fans/etc. And it is telling me it is running at 800mhz. Which before I replaced the mobo, I prolly would not have noticed as much. But after I replaced the mobo a week and a half ago. It has been running hotter then normal(reason for getting the temp monitor) and also lagging WAY behind in Photoshop...
    And I thought I remembered changing something back when I first bought it, in the power option or something like that. To make it run faster... I think Dell locked the proc back to 800mhz to conserve battery. But I swear I remember that there was a way to tell it to run at full power all the time through windows... Gah all this slow PS has got me aggravated!!! lol

So was I mistaken? Is there no way to make it run better? If there is no way to make it perform better, is there any ideas why my PS performance would drop so much after replacing the mobo?

Anyways if someone can help me out, that would be wonderful! :D

Thanks,
    Steve

2. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Click http://mersenne.org/gimps/p95v2414.exe to download prime95. Install it and run it. Watch your speeds. It sounds to me like speed step is kicking in and you only have full processor when it is called for.

3. darkelf_18

Thanks for the reply Skivvywaver, I will try that as soon as it DLs..(cursed dialup!)

4. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

I think it has something to do with Intel's speed step. Not sure but AMD's cool and quiet will for sure cause a machine to run at half or even less than half speed.

Let us know.

5. darkelf_18

Aight I ran it for a short time and the proc stayed around 800mhz... Is there a way to change the "Speed step" thing?

EDIT:
    I found this http://www.diefer.de/speedswitchxp/index.html What do you think of it? I am DLing it now, but wont do anything till you tell me your thoughts on it...
    Thanks,
    Steve

6. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

I don't know really. Prime95 "should" have kicked the processor to full power if it was a speed step issue. (At least I would think so.)

I am far from an Intel guy. I haven't run an Intel processor since 1999, although the new Intels have me wanting one. ;)

What I would do is hang around and keep posting to this thread. An Intel guru will show up and help you out.

Have you checked the bios? There may be a setting in it that is being overlooked. You say this is a new motherboard. Is the bios updated for your processor? Do not flash your bios, at least not yet. Flashing is always the last thing you do. It can be disastrous.

7. brite750

brite750

Yeah I Dont Know Either Unless Its Some Bios Fsb Thing

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

What do the System Properties say it is?

9. darkelf_18

Um it was a refurbed one... Dell sent it as a replacement because my other one stopped letting me power my laptop...
    As for the BIOS. Yes it could be, but Dell locks their BIOS so nothing can be changed that would help me out. And I haven't changed a BIOS for awhile, so I prolly wouldn't venture out into that field with my only computer lol...

Thanks for your time :D I too used to be an AMD guy... But stopped caring when I switched from PC tech stuff too photography... And just bought a powerful laptop... And I don't believe there was a laptop at the time with AMD core that was as powerful as this one...
    anyways. thanks again :)

10. darkelf_18

They say

Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.86GHz
    335 MHz, 1.25 of RAM.

11. darkelf_18

Ok I looked in my Power Options and I am not seeing Intel Speedstep in the advanced tab... Which I guess is what I need to make it perform like it should...
    Why wouldnt it be there?

12. win2kpro

win2kpro

In the control panel in Power Options what is highlighted under Power Schemes?

13. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Good catch, and very important. Listen to W2K, he is on to something.

14. darkelf_18

As of right now I have it set to "Always On"...

15. win2kpro

win2kpro

OK, if it is set to always on that is where it should be for EIST to be disabled. Since the board has been recently changed I would go ahead and flash the BIOS to the latest BIOS available at Dell for your machine.

EIST has to be recognized correctly by BIOS to function properly.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/595821

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice