1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DELL 1100 printer won't install on Windows 7

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by w7sux, Jul 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. w7sux

w7sux Thread Starter

Currently running Windows 7 home edition and cannot install a DELL 1100 laser printer. According to Microsoft and DELL this printer is compatible with Windows 7 and to use the Windows Vista 32 driver. I have downloaded and installed the Vista Driver but it does not work. Please help.

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

That driver only has a chance of working on a Windows 7 32-bit system. Is that what you have? Or do you have Windows 7 64-bit?

3. w7sux

w7sux Thread Starter

Windows 7 32 bit

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

So what doesn't work?

5. w7sux

w7sux Thread Starter

I installed the driver by changing the compatibily settings to Windows Vista (otherwise it does not run). The driver installation program ran successfully but the print test page does not print a page. The printer icon in the printers screen shows the icon with a yellow question mark.

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Rather than installing the entire application, just extract the contents of the EXE, install the printer manually, and point to the INF file.

7. w7sux

w7sux Thread Starter

How do I do that

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If you already ran the EXE, the files are extracted in a folder in C:\Dell. When you go to add the printer, you'll get a dialog box with the option to browse for the driver. It'll be in that Dell folder. Click through the folder structure until you get to the INF file.

9. w7sux

w7sux Thread Starter

It turns out it is Win 7 64 bit. I uninstalled the old driver, rebootd and installed the 64 bit driver. The printer is recognizedby Windows now and it is installed properly, but it will not print. I triesd a test page as well as a trest doc from notepad. The print job does not appear in the queue. Any thoughts

10. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

There's no 64-bit driver available on Dell's website. Where did you download the driver from?

11. w7sux

w7sux Thread Starter

12. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Those links didn't come up when I searched for drivers from the main support page. The suggestion stands. Instead of installing the entire package, install the printer manually and point to the INF file.

13. w7sux

w7sux Thread Starter

That's what I did.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/933794