1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell 1390 WLAN Mini-Card unable to recognize specific wireless signal

Discussion in 'Networking' started by tegia, Nov 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tegia

tegia Thread Starter

Hello,

I am having a problem which is bugging the bejeezus out of me, and excuse me if this has already been discussed elsewhere (tried to search but didn't find anything relevant).

I have a Dell Latitude D420 with a Dell Wireless 1390 Minicard. The Dell also has its own utility that manages the wireless connection in place of Windows XP.

I currently live in Italy (the computer was purchased in the USA) and am trying to connect to a specific wireless router provided by Fastweb. Fastweb is an Italian ISP that provides its own proprietary router (a Telsey) to use.

Even though I am able to connect to it by wired ethernet, and any other computer/wi-fi enabled device is also able to connect to it wirelessly, my computer just does not pick up the wireless signal from the router.

The strange thing is that when I open the Dell utility and go to the "Site Monitor" tab, the very same router's wireless signal is picked up without fail as a 54 speed at full signal strength.

But when I click on the first tab, the "Wireless Networks" tab and click on "add a network" then it shows a list of available networks-- and the Fastweb router is often not on there! Sometimes it does show up and when I click on it and try to connect, sometimes the signal disappears sometimes it has limited or no connectivity, but never anything consistently close to a stable connection.

When I tried to let Windows manage my wireless connection, the same problem presented itself. Only for a couple of hours one night was I able to connect for a reasonable amount of time, which was incidentially the first night that I tried to test it out by having Windows manage the connection.

Ever since that first night the problem re-appeared. Now, I have not done any diagnostics yet or tried to figure this matter out in depth, simply because I don't have the know-how to advance any further. So if anybody can figure out this problem and be of help, I would be very grateful.

Also, my computer has no problem picking up other wireless signals/connecting to other wireless routers.

Thanks

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    With the problem being intermittent I doubt that this is the problem, but will plunge ahead anyhow.

I think in Italy the wireless channels are 1-13. If your wireless adapter has a North American driver it should be detecting/using only channels 1-11. If the router in question is using a channel greater than 11 I suggest that you uninstall the wireless adapter and its utility and start over. Make sure you specify the correct region (I think "Europe").

3. tegia

tegia Thread Starter

Unfortunately, the Dell utility shows the channel being 11, even if my region is set as "United States". Would changing it to "Europe" make any difference?

Is there anything else I should try, or should I just make the plunge and buy a new wireless card to insert into my PC?

I tried to uninstall the Dell 1390 card (so that I could reinstall it) but it reinstalls itself automatically upon restart (!?)

I could try to uninstall it again so that I can make a fresh install but how do I do so? Go to Properties and uninstall the driver is what I did last time.

Ideas?

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Channels 1 through 11 are used for all units, channels 12 and 13 are only available in Europe.

Uninstall the Dell 1390 card, and when it tries to install again, cancel the new hardware detection.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/646512

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice