1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell 15" LCD monitor dead after 1 day!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Voodoomelon, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Voodoomelon

Voodoomelon Thread Starter

Hey all.

This Dell E151FPp 15" LCD monitor is dead after 1 day of use.

I got this LCD off a friend who got a replacement from Dell about 2 years ago, and this screen has been under his bed ever since.

Apparently, the screen died after just 1 day, the power went and then nothing. No led or anything. My friend tried different cables, but to no avail.

So I took it off him to see if I could fix it. I opened it up and saw the fuse was blown; I have no idea what amp the fuse was as it wasn't marked on it.

I replaced it with a physically larger 3amp fuse and it blew when I switched on. I then used a 5amp and a 13amp fuse. Although they didn't blow, the screen still refuses to turn on.

Here is the back of the LCD panel. You can see the 2 fuse holders at the bottom of the brown circuit board:

[​IMG]

I heard it may be possible to replace the power circuitry, is this true?

I there any way that this LCD can be repaired. I'd love to get it working. Obviously I can't claim under warranty (Dell never came to pick up this monitor when they sent out the new replacement :D ).

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    ;)

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

I'd say Dell may have been right. :D

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Fuses blow for a reason 99% of the time.

Replacing the fuse with a larger one simply embeds any failure further and harder into the device. You should never do such a thing.

With switchmode supplies such as this device uses, the most likely cause of the fuse failure is the switching transistor. The fuse blows to prevent further damage being done to the main circuitry.

By putting a 13 amp fuse in, the resulting pulse through the switchmode transformer has every liklihood of turning a $15 transistor cost replacement repair into a total write-off unfortunately.

Without the test equipment required to fault-find, and a ready supply of replacement modules and components it's not going to be possible to suggest an easy repair path for DIY.

4. Voodoomelon

I thought the very same thing once I had done it.
    Hmm, so im up the creek then...
    :confused:

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

If you understand switchmode supplies, you could fault find it with the right equipment.

I will go out on a limb here, and suggest that you may not have that detailed knowledge? (Or "fit a larger fuse" would not have occurred).

The problem is, that even if you repair the power supply, there is no guarantee how deep the fault now is within the rest of the electronics.

Even the makers and service agents usually swap out complete modules, as board level servicing is not economic. Getting the parts can be a trial.

6. rmay635703

rmay635703

Put it on ebay explain it doesn't work and why and get your $5-$25 for it :)

There are some hardcore folks that know how to drive an LCD without the controller or replace, my guess is that the LCD itself (not any of the circuitry) is OK.

The only way this could be fixed would be if you had two units, one with a smashed screen and the one you have currently

Good Luck

7. Voodoomelon

Ok, i see. Thanks for your help guys.
    ;)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325662

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice