1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DELL 1600SC Noisy Fans & F1 Disable

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kyuuketsuki, Oct 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kyuuketsuki

Kyuuketsuki Thread Starter

Hi,

I've inherited a DELL 1600SC PowerEdge Server which is pretty cool except for one thing ... it's really noisy!

So I thought, I should be able to buy some silent fans for it and probably forget about the front case fan (the CPU's have fans anyway). MY first question then is, is there anything inherently problematic about replacing one or both fans with silent ones? Looking at one of the fans one thing strikes me ... there's something (looks like a transistor or something) sticking out inside the fan and it may be some kind of sensor which means, of course, I will get errors on boot leading to the "Strike F1 key to continue ... " after POST, before OS load; which is my second question ... is there a way to stop that happening?

Kyu

2. Kyuuketsuki

Kyuuketsuki Thread Starter

One thing I thought of this morning was that the server will be situated in my office cellar, currently my other server (an IBM x206) is situated in a home built wooden unit (almost but not quite rack like). As such a possible solution might be to keep the current fans but built a noise-reducing door on to the front of the server space ... you could maybe fit 3 of these Dell servers in to the space side by side (2.5 at least) and the space is a little deeper (front to back) than the server and 1.5 times the height so the issue, assuming I keep the original noisy fans, becomes what kind of stuff do I need in there for noise reduction and would the air-flow in there be adequate (there is a gap to the to and back of the space that vents into the cellar proper).

Kyu

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757646

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice