1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell 1737 died - will not power up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by noname87, Nov 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. noname87

noname87 Thread Starter

My daughter's Dell 1737 refuses to turn on. For the past few days, the computer would turn off without warning but she was able to restart it without issue. At one point, she notice a burning smell. Today it died completely. Pressing the on button has no effect. She cannot recall if she heard the fan running or not or if the computer feels hot.

Other background;

Removing the battery and running on AC does not work.

The power switch is new (due to replacing the back cover six months ago).

The ac charger is new (less than 6 months old) and the blue LED on the cord lights up. When plugged in, the white light on the computer comes on and goes off immediately.

The battery is original. Probably wearing out but running on AC is okay for now. When I push the test button on the battery, I get at least 3 leds lighting up.

Inverter, keyboard and LCD power cable have been replaced.

I am not sure where to start. My gut says power supply board. I would think a bad fan would not prevent the system from trying to start. A dead MB is a possibility but wouldn't I see some signs when trying to power up such as flashing leds?

I would like to fix this since she needs for school every day. I do not want to replace it since she is going to college next year and the college might want a certain brand.

Any ideas?

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Have a look inside the laptop for any signs of overheating. If you're very lucky it might be on a sub-board (does it have a separate power board ?) which you can replace.

Otherwise I would take it to a professional and ask for a repair estimate.

3. noname87

noname87 Thread Starter

The power board is separate. Ti inspect it, I will need to completely disassembly the computer. I will do that once I get a replacement part. Once it is apart, it makes no sense not to put a new one in.

After giving up for the day, I decided to try turning the computer on five hours later. It actually turned on and appear to work normally. The battery showed as charged. Plugging the ac charger in appear to work right and the white LED light came on.

I then turned the computer off and back on and entered the diagnostics mode. Right now it is running the extensive memory tests. So far I did get the error 2000-0146 during the DST short test. Searching the Dell site indicates that the hard drive is having problems. Could this cause the computer to have ZERO (no leds, no beeps, nothing) response to pushing the on button? I would of thought I would get some sort of post message.
    Once the full set of test is done, I will post the final results. The memory test has been running for 45 minutes so far.

4. noname87

noname87 Thread Starter

I managed to run the Dell diagnostics. The hard drive failed the DEST Short Test with an error code of 2000-0146. I then ran the detailed test which yield the code 0f00:1332 and message "Block 614172994: Interrupt request(IRQ) did not set in time". All other test passed without an issue.

I assume I need a new hard drive but did this cause the computer to fail to have any response to pressing the on button?

I have been running this computer for 12 hours with multiple reboots for testing. So the rest of the computer seems fine.

Can I replace the 320G drive with a 120g ssd? I am currently using 50G on C: and 7.3G on d:. What exactly is on the Dell recovery d:?

5. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    The D partition is for recovery, there's an image file on it which you can use to restore the laptop to 'factory' condition, ie as it was when new. This will put the OS and original software onto C but you will lose all programs and data you have put on there yourself.

The restore procedure is explained on P.44 of the Setup manual, you can view or download it from here :- http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/studio1737/en/index.htm

It is odd that it showed no real signs of life before.
    All I can think of is the hard drive connector was loose.
    I would re-seat the HDD, the Service manual from the same link above will show you how, and rerun the tests.

6. noname87

noname87 Thread Starter

Thanks.

I ran Norton Ghost Diagnostic (I believe it is a variation of chkdsk)with no problems. I ran the Western Digital Diagnostic (my drive is WD)which indicated I had damaged sectors which could not be repaired. Googling indicates that this means the drive is starting to fail. Since doesn't explain the total failure to attempt to boot.

7. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Hopefully the failure to boot won't happen again.

A hard drive can still work with some damaged sectors, they are designed to use spare ones instead.
    You can use HDTune free version in Windows to monitor it, the 'Health' tab will show several parameters for it including damaged sectors. If the number doesn't rise the drive could work ok for a long time but it would be prudent to backup any vital data on it and check it often at first.

HDTune :- http://www.hdtune.com/download.html (don't get the Pro version scroll down for plain old 'HDTune').

EDIT : meant to ask, how many bad sectors are on it now ?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1077203

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice