1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell 2650 Inspiron Laptop hard drive replacement

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mcreed01, Apr 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mcreed01

mcreed01 Thread Starter

I have to replace the hard drive in my Dell 2650 Inspiron laptop. Does anybody know the procedure or steps to do it. I can buy one on Ebay but want to find out how to get the old one out first

2. qldit

qldit

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You also need to make sure that this machine doesn't have the recovery partition on the hard disk and not on the recovery disks. If so, you'll need to round up a lot more stuff to get the job one. :)

BTW, eBay is the last place I look for computer equipment, we see people getting non-working stuff come through here all the time. I'd shop at more highly regarded vendors for your disk if it were my money.

4. qldit

qldit

I have just had a look at that drive replacement procedure and it seems that they don't mention the adapter plug on the back of the drive needing to be removed, normally these things have an adapter fitted. I think they have something like 44 pins in the back of those drives, this adapts to a spade type for drive slot interface.

John's suggestion is a valid point, he is rarely wrong!

What is the reason you are replacing this drive and were you aware of any extra partition on it?
    qldit.

5. mcreed01

mcreed01 Thread Starter

When I turn on the laptop I get a message of a fatal error on the harddrive. I can boot from the cdrom or the floppy drive, but not the internal harddrive.

As it relates to ebay. The seller says that the drive is new in a sealed factory bag and he has over 3,000 recorded sales.

6. qldit

qldit

Good Morning mcreed01, with a fatal error message like that, it likely refers to a problem with data required for boot being unable to be read, possibly due to a magnetic block on the first cylinder of the drive going bad.
    You could try downloading a program called HDDRegenerator
    http://www.dposoft.net/ (free trial)
    Making a bootable CD with this program and booting your machine to it will run a program that may better inform you as to what has happened to your drive.

This program may restore one block or might be able to be rerun and restore a second.
    It may even restore operation to your machine.

It is worth a try.

Sorry I know nothing about Ebay purchases, I deal mainly with equipment warehouses for critical purpose devices. Drives are usually good for one drop!

qldit.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/462467

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice