1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dell 4100 inspiron

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by firefighter2417, Dec 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. firefighter2417

firefighter2417 Thread Starter

i have a dell 4100 inspiron. the hard drive went down and i replaced it but when i push any buttons even though it works and does what it is suppose to it makes a beep on every key i push.

2. huggie54

huggie54

3. firefighter2417

i thank you for trying to help. unfortunately none of these steps worked. if you think of any other solutions please write me again.

4. Megabite

Megabite

How did you install the Operating System on the new Hard drive?

5. firefighter2417

the hard drive my husband put in was a spare we had and it already had windows professional on it

6. firefighter2417

what happened was i gave this computer to my niece who is 12 and she crashed the hard drive that was in it from downloading a bunch of music and stuff. so we took the computer and realized that the fan had also quit working but my husband had got that fixed. then he put the new hard drive back in it. but ever since the hard drive went down and before we put in the new one it beeped everytime you pushed a key. we figured it would quit whe we put in the new hard drive but it didnt.

7. Megabite

Megabite

So it already had Windows Pro on it already and it started up on that PC....you have to install it on the PC as it will not work properly until you do...in most cases doing it that way it will not work at all

8. firefighter2417

i can still operate the computer since i put the new hard drive in. the internet and all works but i have that stupid beeping on every key i push.

9. Megabite

Megabite

Could be a sticking key

10. raybro

raybro

I'm with Megabite, it would be real unusual for a hard drive with the OS, programs, drivers, etc installed while in another PC to work on a different PC. The machines would have to be virtually identical and I'm unsure it would work even then.

Not disputing what you say, just something I find difficult to envision. There are a ton of factors that require compatibility between software and hardware which happens when an OS, drivers and program applications are installed.

Raybro

11. firefighter2417

the hard drive i put in that already had the op system is the exact match to the computer i put it in. it works perfect but i just cant get the beep to stop when i push a key. it dont continuously beep though. it beeps one time for every key i push.

12. raybro

raybro

Have you tried a different keyboard?

Raybro

13. firefighter2417

the keyboard should be fine because it worked fine with the old hard drive. besides this is a newer computer.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!