Dell 4300 won't recognize 2nd HDrive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mldr

Hi, I sure hope someone can help me on this one. My friend has a Dell 4300 and purchased an 80GB HDrive (western Digital) MoBo will accept up to 100GB.
Set up secondary HD as slave leaving the original IBM drive as Primary and is set on cable select with Dell IDE cable. COmputer freezes trying to update hardware.
When accessing the set up menu the only choices for setting Hard drives are . OFF or AUTO.
when booting into safe mode , device manager shows a new drive but is unable to recognize it.

The new drive is good, I have even managed to set it up as master and loaded WinMe on it which BTW is the OS he is using.

When calling Dell for support, he was told to leave both drives on Cable Select and to update the Chipset.

We did this and the machine no longer wanted to boot even in safe mode.

I used the IDE cable that came with his new drive and set the master drive to Master with slave present and set the new 80GB drive as slave.
The computer booted into normal mode but did not detect secondary drive.

rebooted into BIOS and the settings showed unable to identify the second drive.

I would like to format original drive but he has data that he does not want to lose and I have no way at this time to save this data for him.

Do you know of any way to get around the bios set up for this Dell computer? It is the first time that I have seen only 2 choices for detection of Hard drive.

Any help would be greatly apreciated. I also do not want to reformat his drive and reload Win Me without being assured of the secondary hard drive being detected.

Thanks in advance.

;) Mldr

Set the original hd to primary on the jumpers and make sure the cable is connected properly. Set the new hd to secondary, set both to auto in bios and you shouldn't have any probs.;) Or hook it up to the secondary ide buy itself, set the jumpers to master and make it the secondary master.

And Welcome to TSG:)

Triple6

Rob
Western Digital Drives generally have different jumper settings than most other drives.

Tip - Since you are thinking of reinstalling windows I would suggest making the New 80gig drive the master as it is faster and you'll get better performance.

Tip - don't use cable select.

Set the WD drive as master - sometimes this requires leaving the jumpers off and set the IBM as slave. You can also try setting the WD as master with slave if it offers that option. Examine the diagrams on the drives carefully.

Also use the 80 wire/40 pin ide cable. Blue end plugs into the motherboard, black end plugs into the master and the grey end plugfs into the slave. Use the autodetection in the bios to detect the drives. Sometimes a Bios update is required and may be worth a shot if all else fails.

mldr

Thank you for the advice. I will update the Bios to begin with since the Bios is not recognizing the 2nd drive . I will let you know if that works.

Thanks again

mldr

Thanks Jnibori, I just looked at the link you sent me... I do believe that will help me. My friend is suppose to bring me his original HD tomorrow so I can save his data for him and then he wanted me to format it and reload his system which is Me...

When the new 80 GB drive was connected as a slave, all that would show under device manager was a drive with no name.. nothing would show under my computer. This was before I installed WIn Me on it.. So I will try reformatting this new drive and removing the jumpers on it as well and see if the Dell will recognize all of it.

I am not too familiar with Dells but the few I have worked on have given me different sets of problems... LOL.. I guess that's why I keep doing this.. It's like a giant puzzle.. I will have to convince my friend that I don't mind spending all this time on his system...

Again thanks and I will let you know in a few days what happens.

:) Mldr

mldr

Thank you jnibori... I made him set the WD 80 GB as a Master with slave present and then set the IBm drive as a slave and we did not use the Dell IDE cable...

It worked...Both drives were recognized and Now only have to install all the drivers ....

Thank you

MLDR (y)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online