Dell 4550 computer can't find disk drives

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

stovermw

After 11 months of use, my Dell 4550 couldn't find its CD/DVD and DVD recorder drives today on bootup. Dell tech support suggests the problem is inside the computer requiring a new cable from the motherboard to the two drives (one cable).
They are sending me a new cable.

Is this likely to be the problem or are there other things that could be causing this problem. Neither drive shows up in "My Computer."

Triple6

First Name
Rob
When the computer first boots up - it shows the DELL screen and should say press F2 or DEL or F10 to enter setup. Do that, somewhere in there it should mention IDE drives - it should list your harddrive and have 3 other devices - make sure they are set on auto or are display CD-ROM

stovermw

Here's what I found:

Primary Drive 0 Hard Drive
Primary Drive 1 OFF
Secondary Drive 0 CD-ROM reader (my DVD/CD reader)
Secondary Drive 1 CD-RO< reader (my DVD r/w)

Triple6

First Name
Rob
Well now that suggests that its a Windows Problem.

What if you go to Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager. Any errors? Does it list the drives here?

stovermw

It shows "!" by both CD drives and following message:

"Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)"

Triple6

First Name
Rob
Try removing both and restarting the computer. It should pick them up again and install drivers automatically. If not, check to see if the drives are jumpered on Cable Select(physical jumpers on the back of each drive) If they are, set them to Master and Slave. You can also try them one at a time by unpluging the IDE cable from one of them.

Triple6

First Name
Rob
Uninstall them and reboot. they should come back but hopefully work.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online