1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell 4550 No Network Adapters

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Scribner2448, Apr 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Scribner2448

Scribner2448 Thread Starter

2 days ago I reformatted my computer, reinstalled Windows XP and I do have the recovery cd's. I can't get anywhere with them. I go to Network Adapters and there are big yellow question marks. I have an MSN ethernet connection with a Linksys router. I've read and read posts about the same thing but am totally confused. I installed the chipset driver from the recovery cd and it wants me to put it in the network adapters, but like I said, there are none. I really want to get that computer onto the internet, please help!

2. How'dIdoThat

How'dIdoThat

3. Scribner2448

Ok, I tried that earlier but the computer didn't have the right program to open them. What format do I save them as?

4. How'dIdoThat

How'dIdoThat

Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
    Click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.
    To see a list of installed network adapters, expand Network adapter(s). Click to locate the network adapter, and then click Uninstall.
    Restart the computer, and then let the system automatically detect and install the network adapter drivers. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/825826

5. How'dIdoThat

How'dIdoThat

It's been a long while since I've gotten the updates from Dell but I think I just right clicked on them an saved to my desktop. Then I right clicked the desktop icon and sent it to cd drive.

6. Scribner2448

Either way I do it, it saves as .application. Now what?

7. How'dIdoThat

How'dIdoThat

Did you try the tips in message #4 above ? Also it will save it to the My Documents folder, right click on it and click Send to Cd Drive D and have a blank cd ready to copy. A window will pop up , click on it, click on the icon and click Write these files to cd.

8. Scribner2448

I just did what you said to do in post 4. I had the Resource CD in when I restarted and it said it found new hardware (ethernet adapter). It's not able to find the correct driver on it's own, so I did a search myself and there a tons to choose from. I saved the paperwork from when I bought it and it says it's an Integrated Intel PRO 10/100 Ethernet. My service tag is 3JNGN21, in case that can help you to help me find the correct one. None of the one's on the cd are named that exactly.

9. replay

replay

10. Scribner2448

Ok, I got that part. But, when I download it and save it to the cd it saves as a .application. How do I change that? I've tried different things and it's a no go. I've wasted 4 cds now. When I click download, a window pops up that says download or download and create ISO. I've been clicking download. I've tried saving it to the desktop as well as my documents. I obviously don't get it.

11. replay

replay

d/l it to your desktop.i...............t will look like the pic then move it over to the computer via a thumb drive or burn cd....then click it and follow directions

Attached Files:

12. Scribner2448

Tried, twice. It saves it as R52043.application and looks like a white screen with a gray shield in it. One of the times I downloaded one of the drivers it looked like the pic you posted.

13. How'dIdoThat

How'dIdoThat

On the one that looks like the pic, right click on it and click Send to Cd Drive D and have a blank cd ready to copy. A window will pop up , click on it, click on the icon and click Write these files to cd.

14. Scribner2448

I had already deleted all my other attempts, so I don't have it anymore, ooops!

15. Scribner2448

Anyone have any ideas how I can save the file that way??

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917494