1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell 4600 not booting Windows XP help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by carguyonpc, Dec 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. carguyonpc

carguyonpc Thread Starter

PC Config: DELL 4600 Desktop, P4, running Windows XP Home, 80 GB Western Digital HD

Scenario: PC was functioning fine until a recent attempt to install iTunes 11.1 (which required a sytem reboot after install). While rebooting a black screen came up with the following message:
    Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: windows\system32\config\system. You can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original set up CDROM.

Repair attempts (a software attempt and a hardware attempt):
    1. I tried installing the original WINDOWS XP CD ROM and follow the steps to repair the system file. I tried to follow the steps but could not get the repair function to work for me (likely some user error).

2. I tried removing the hard drive and puting it into an external drive enclosure (I have another PC running Windows XP). When I powered up the external drive enclosure through a USB port on the functioning computer (using a "My Computer" window) the drive did spin up and was recognized as an external device. I tried to access the drive but it only gave me an error message: Device not ready.

Questions:
    If the hard drive is spinning and was working fine before the iTunes software install, why can't I view the drive contents when using the external device enclosure (I confirmed the external enclosure was working correctly) ?
    Can anyone offer step by step instructions for repairing a corrupt system file using the original Windows XP CD ROM?

Thanks for any assistance!

2. Laz123

Laz123 Banned

Have you tapped F8 on bootup and selected 'last known good configuration'?

3. carguyonpc

carguyonpc Thread Starter

Thanks for the idea. I am still getting the original error message(missing or corrupt system file).

4. Laz123

Laz123 Banned

You tried a 'repair' install from the xp cd? What wouldn't work?

Your hd may be corrupt or the boot loader may need fixing.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
  6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082916

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice