1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell 8100 -Alert! System fan not detected

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dylansmiles, Feb 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dylansmiles

Dylansmiles Thread Starter

I recently had to replace a noisy case fan on my Dell 8100. However, I didn't want to buy another Dell fan for the system, I wanted to get a better one. So, I was able to replace the case fan, which is basically the fan for the CPU. However, the replacement fan's power source is connected to one of the power supply connections, instead of the on-board power supply that the Dell fan was previously connected to. Now, when i restart the computer, at the start-up, I get "Alert! System fan not detected", Press F1 to continue, or F2 to System.

Since Dell has a "custom" connection for the on-board power supply for the fan, I'm unable to use it unless I break down and buy another crappy Dell fan.

I want to remove this prompt so I don't have to press F1. I look around in BIOS and didn't really see anything. Maybe this is something that is hardwired into the chip?

Is all hope lost? Please Help~

2. telegramsam

telegramsam

You're going to need a fan that connects to the motherboard header. Here are about 200 of 'em. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0110573+1373226565&Submit=ENE&Subcategory=573

I assume you have the dell setup with the giant green shroud between the heatsink and the back of the case....

Notice that they have a 3 pin AND 4 pin connector. That will tell your BIOS that you have a fan.

That warning is wired into the motherboard so that you don't torch your CPU if it comes unplugged. Without that other connector, the system thinks you don't have a fan.

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

4. Dylansmiles

Dylansmiles Thread Starter

Thank you for your responses, however, Dell has a "custom" connector which does not match a the generic 3 prong connector.

To resolve the issue i did the following:

1) Demolished the old fan, but retaining the connector and wires.

2) I removed the generic 3-prong connector from the new fan, and soldered
    the wires together, then wrapping them in electrical tape.

I turned on the computer and it worked fine!

Once again thanks for your guy's help!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544660

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice