1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell 8200 RAM Help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GlitchBob, Feb 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GlitchBob

GlitchBob Thread Starter

Ok I just got the Dell Dimension 1GB PC800 RDRAM 1024MB Rambus RIMM I won on eBay. Before I even started looking on eBay, I did research on the RAM for this computer, thought I knew what needed to be known.

Installed them, thought everything was going well...... then I started the computer back up and it tells me that the two are unsupported and to get the correct type.

My computer is a:
    Dell 8200
    Pentium 4
    CPU 2.40GHz
    2.39 GHz, 256 MB of RAM

What did I do wrong? :(

2. stantley

stantley

According to this http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8200/specs.htm#1101572 the memory you need is PC800 (non-ECC).

The memory you got - KINGSTON RDRAM # KTD-DM800E/1024 ECC.

You got ECC memory, you need non-ECC. Some motherboards will work OK with either one, but probably not in this case.

Edit: However this is what I found at Crucial: Your system supports ECC. You can put non-ECC modules into an ECC system, but be sure not to mix ECC and non-ECC modules within a system. Install the same type of modules that are already in your system.

So it just might be that you can't mix ECC and non-ECC.

3. GlitchBob

GlitchBob Thread Starter

Ah, alright thanks stantley. I'll try to install just the two 512MB's alone. Hopefully that will work.

If nothing else I'll re-sell them back on eBay.

4. GlitchBob

GlitchBob Thread Starter

*update*

Crap, installing only the 512's didn't work. Still said "replace with RDRAM PC800-40ns or faster". In fact when I placed the CRIMM's in the first two slots, it said nothing was supported in either of the four slots. Have to have the CRIMM's in right? Can't seem to do much without them being in, aside from have a nice 'tune' of beeps...

Damn, I was really hoping that'd work.

Oh well on eBay I go....

Hm, speaking of eBay, someone care to point me in the right direction? :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541573

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice