1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell A960 Printer Probs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jmeyer, Jan 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jmeyer

jmeyer Thread Starter

Hello,

I'm hoping SOMEONE can help me out. I have just performed a clean install of XP Home, and installed SP2. When I connect my Dell A960 printer "USB Device recognized" comes up and a few others like "USB Human Interface Devive", and then "An error occured during hardware installation. Your new device may not function properly". If I attempt to run the install from CD or latest driver download from Dell, I get "Cannot find printer". After repeated attempts, I did get it to install once manually from the control panel. After completeing the install, said was ready. When I tried to print test page, message indicates "Cannot communicate with device". Printer is listed as Unknown Device in Device Manager. I've checked all cables and all standalone functions of printer work fine. I then uninstalled, restarted, and reinstalled again just to be sure with same result. Dell techs say to buy a new printer. (Big surprise.) I really liked the printer, and really don't like shellling out the $$$ for a new one! If I have to, any reccommendations for an All In One for home/home office usage. Please help.

Thanks,

Jeremy

2. SacsTC

SacsTC

Go into the printer properties and make sure that it is showing the correct port.

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

If you reloaded Windows, did you then reload the chipset drivers for the motherboard?

Without them the chipset will be limping along on default Windows drivers that will be less than optimum.

This can effect all I/O including USB.

4. jmeyer

jmeyer Thread Starter

Yes, it was showing the correct port, but no I did not reload chipset drivers and don't know how. Would this help?

Thanks,

Jeremy

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436158

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice