1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell and their lack of support

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by buf, Oct 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. buf

buf Thread Starter

I am returning the Dell described below. Decided to do that on or about Sept.23 and I began applying to Dell for their RMA number. The timing of my ordering and then receiving the Dell was an almost impossible time. I am blessed with the C.O.P.D. disease and a head cold began to make it's presence known---and how it did!! Still have it and you never want the combination of these two "killers" to hit you together. I began to have my anxiety depleted when I could not get in touch with Dell; or rather no contact with any sympathetic soul and in fact, it was pretty much just the opposite. Support in India is strictly for no one. Well, they got my Scotch/Irish anger burning and I didn't give up---it was like not being able to contact anyone at Dell Support. I really and truly felt helpless; it was like no one was home.
    Dell kept saying that I had 21 days to return the computer and I had among the several items in the computer box this one page of printed info with Dell logo in several places so I scanned it and sent it attached to one of my many emails to anyone at Dell I could find a name for. Today, I got my answer. Who ever approved it said he(?) was making an exception and gave his approval. Don't really see how an exception was made when the "letter" I scanned and sent to them clearly said 30 days and in which I was well within the boundary. I did threaten Dell with letting PCMag and Smart Computing know about their lack of support and communication from Dell. Even threatened to use our attorney son to have a look at the situation. And he has vast experiences with arbitration.
    I hate Vista and I don't know if I pursued the return of the computer because of that or from the lack of Dell's willingness to acknowledge the situation. It was scary for the better part of the past 2 weeks; especially this past week because of not hearing from them. So Monday or Tuesday it goes back.
    The value of the computer is there I believe but Dell's attitude is not in keeping with what I have been accustomed to seeing.The computer is a: Dell Inspiron 546MT Phenom X4 9750 2.4GHz 4X1GB Ram 16X DVD+/-RW Drive 500GB Serial ATA HD Vista SP2 Home Premium 64 Bit. Roxio Creator 10.2 WIN 7 free Upgrade. My total cost for this PC was $459; shipping and sales tax included. A bargain, I think.
    BTW, if I keep the PC, can I wipe the hard drive and install whatever OS I want to. I am anxious to know more about what Win7 will offer. As usual, TIA

EDIT: I may be cutting off my nose to spite my face by returning the PC but the lack of help from Dell is nauseating.

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Dell's support has been like that for years. I got a Dell laptop for my wife back in the spring of 2004. Within a couple of days it started acting up. I called them several times and they would make me go through the same routine every time. Finally after two weeks I had lost my patience. Tech Support would no longer help me and I said to the tech support person was "Either replace it or I will send it back and I will buy an HP!" I instantly had the the manager on the phone telling me they would send me a new laptop and to put the old one in the box and send it back with the enclosed shipping label.

The computer had a definite hardware problem. One of the last things they did was have me update the bios. At that time, I believe it was at revision A12 for that model. When I got the new computer, it had revision A13 for the bios. I went out the Dell's website to see what they had posted on their website and A12 was still posted for that model. Kept checking for weeks and I never did see them post version A13 of the bios for that model.

I just ordered a new computer for my wife last weekend. Needless to say you still have to deal with India. Even HP uses them. I ended up getting an HP cheaper than a comparable Dell with a better warranty.

Gateway is the only company I know of that was still using US based support a few years ago. My mom got a Gateway a few years ago and the hardware was crap but at least you to speak to someone who understood what was going on.

Even the company I work for moved all their help desk support to India. The support in India is horrible. They have no clue what Novell Netware is or what a mainframe is. If it isn't a windows desktop related issue then they have no clue what to do.

3. buf

buf Thread Starter

More of the same--nothing-- only you got started with Dell long before I did. I wish you luck with the wife's new HP.
    Care to comment on the price of what I have?? Also, I read your comments many times and find them informative and seemingly helpful for those inquiring.
    Also, any thoughts about installing another OS. Any advice you care to offer will be helpful, I am sure. Perhaps I should just keep the Dell and wait for the free upgrade to Win7 and then install it after I do an Acronis backup of Vista and present hard drive contents.Comments sorely needed/wanted.
    I figure I have 2-3 days left to think about this; 2-3 days according to Dell. I would rather make my final decision no later than Tuesday to be well within their imposed limit of 5 business days beginning this past Saturday. (and I don't consider Saturday as being a business day but I would rather be safe than sorry.
    Thanks for your time and thoughts already.

4. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Yes, as long as you can find drivers for the hardware.

Windows 7 would not be a problem, and will have all the drivers.

5. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

6. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Don't really know what you paid for that and I really can't compare it to what I bought at HP because most laptops only come with Dual Cores. I did get 4gb's of ram and a 512MB ATI Video card.

My main priority with the laptop I just bought was to have hardware virtualization support on the cpu and motherboard. I chatted with HP sales online before I made a decision. I went with an AMD-V cpu. They didn't have alot of options for Intel's VT and when they did, I would have spent about $400 more on the laptop. I also liked HP's warranty options. I think they are better than Dell's.

Also it seemed like most of the Intel laptops were capped at 4gb's of memory support. The AMD model I got supports up to 8gb's of ram. When you run a 64bit OS you will want as much ram as you can get.

My main reason for the AMD-V cpu is that I plan on running Windows 7 Pro with XP Mode. I want my wife to have some backwards compatibility with some older apps.

7. buf

buf Thread Starter

Hey Mumbodog, thanks for your time to look for the drivers for both systems. I am not worried too much about XP PRO because I have 2 store bought full install OS CDs and the whole 9 yards. And now with your help, I have the link to the Dell drivers. Many thanks.
    I do not know if, with the freebie Win7 Upgrade allows one to choose 32 bit or 64 bit installs. Right now I am running 64 bit on the Dell.

8. buf

buf Thread Starter

Squashman, I thought I reported the cost of the Dell in my thread and I just checked and it is there--$459 and out the door. Also have a description of it there
    It is unfortunate that we computer users have to contend with such inferior support but seemingly we have no choice.
    Appreciate your continued interest in my problems. And right now, I am leaning toward keeping the computer. I am running the 64 bit option and chose this at the time I first began working with the PC. Could I have used 32 bit had I chosen that? And finally, in your opinion, which is better to use.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!