Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dell Backup and recovery

3K views 27 replies 4 participants last post by  PeterOz 
#1 ·
Inspiron small desk top 3000 series. SERVICE TAG # 6V55922, EXPRESS CODE: 14943788570. I do not have access to this computer. The backup and recovery program continually loops, and will not let me into windows. I have reinstalled windows , but when you have to restart it, for drivers or updates, it automatically goes to the backup and recovery. Dell said to go into the bios to get it out. I could not find any reference to the program.

#3 ·
From here https://www.dell.com/support/manual...a4fbfb-924b-4b4a-b183-4117e91ada90&lang=en-us
  1. Turn on or restart your computer.
  2. Press F2 to enter System Setup.
    NOTE If you wait too long and the operating system logo is displayed, wait until you see the Windows desktop, restart your computer, and try again.
  3. In the left pane, expand SupportAssist System Resolution, and then select SupportAssist OS Recovery.
  4. In the right pane, select or clear the SupportAssist OS Recovery check box to enable or disable the automatic start of SupportAssist OS Recovery.
  5. Press F10 to save the changes and exit.
    NOTE BIOS options may vary slightly depending on your system model.

#5 ·
According to that service tag number and express service code number, you have THIS Dell Inspiron 3646 Slim Form Factor PC which was purchased in August 2015 in the U.S. and came with Windows 8.1 64-bit.

The most current Dell Backup And Recovery software for it was released in January 2016 and is version 1.9.2.8.
It can be downloaded from HERE.

In your original comments, you said "I do not have access to this computer".
If that's correct, how are you able to work on it? :unsure:

-------------------------------------------------

#10 ·
Two things I would try
1) Download a ubuntu image and build a boot usb - set bios to boot from usb - No install needed.
https://ubuntu.com/download/desktop.

2) Download win10 tool and reinstall windows using the tool. The only problem you may have is you win10
registration may not be valid anymore. You need to ask Microsoft or Dell.

The backup and recovery program continually loops,
Is this the built in Backup and recovery program or is it the download from Dell

#20 ·
I would go here https://www.dell.com/support/home/e...g/0-OStjcHBySyt4Qng1bHlwMFlXNHBrUT090/drivers
and update the drivers.
I notice that is has an Urgent update for your bios.
If you do the bios BEWARE to read all the instructions first and make sure you are comfortable in doing it.
Since you have the computer running I would copy all need data/photos etc first to the other computer or an external drive. load all the drivers.
Then the bios.

#26 ·
You need to change the BIOS
Restart and enter bios you will see that usb boot is set as the first boot device.
Change to HDD save and reboot. Attach external and boot again should be good.
Normally they have a boot tab/page for this setting

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.