1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Battery Question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by raybro, Apr 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

Howdy folks... My Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop is doing a strange thing. Immediately following POST (i have the diagnostics screen enabled) and before the Dell blue bar, I get a message that reads something like this. "WARNING. The battery is not recognized and it may not be able to be charged. Press any key to continue" It will just hang there until a key is pressed.

I've had this once before when the original battery was dying after about a year and a half. At that time it would charge OK, but would only last about 30 minutes. Purchased a new battery (not from Dell) and warning went away with normal boot into XP. That was about 6 - 8 months ago.

This started happening when recently I unwittingly unplugged the AC adapter with the machine on and the battery ran completely down. Been doing it ever since. The difference between this event and the last time is again the battery charges normally, but now lasts over 2.5 hours when running on battery power. So it does not constitute a functional problem, just a pain in the butt to have to remember I have to hit a key to boot. :( (n)

Anyone got a clue other than to buy another battery. (hardly seems worth it)

Raybro

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  3. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

Thanks for the links, etaf. About the only thing I have found so far is the possibility that BIOS update may help. The newest version is 2.6.3 (rel 2007) and I have v2.6.2 running. I have a USB Floppy drive, so I can use that to do the job. There is no battery recalib feature listed in my BIOS. In fact, nothing about batteries at all.

Raybro

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914489

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice