1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell BIOS Update

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Giant Octopus, Mar 15, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Giant Octopus

Giant Octopus Thread Starter

I have a DELL PC. I keep getting pestered to do the 3647/3847 BIOS update. I'm very reluctant to do any of these BIOS updates because I hear they can damage your computer or cause Windows to not work properly. Is this update really needed and if not how do I stop it from pestering me to update every day? DELL won't help me because they said my warranty expired.

[​IMG]

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the 7-character "service tag" number on your Dell?
    What's the Windows version(7, 8.1, 10) running in it?

---------------------------------------------------------------

3. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
  4. Giant Octopus

The service number is expired and I use the latest Windows 10 operating system.

5. Giant Octopus

Well I was reading this and its kinda scaring me.
    https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005630/boards-and-kits.html

That Caution logo is worrying me.:(

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    A "service tag" number doesn't expire.
    It's what confirms the identity of your Dell.
    You definitely don't want to install a BIOS that's not created for your Dell model name/model number.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It is generally recommended that IF you need a fix provided by the update, then go ahead and update. IF you do not need the specific fix, then leave it alone.
    A bios update is not difficult however if you decide to do the update, be sure you fully understand the flashing procedure.

8. Giant Octopus

6M6S282

They told me my warranty expired! I have had my computer for a little over 3 years.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

A warranty expires; a service tag does not. The service tag IDs exactly what parts are in that system. If the system is 3yrs old, then it is probably out of warranty unless you purchased some extended warranty.

10. Giant Octopus

So do you think I should do it? If so should I manually download the update and install it rather than let the Dell support program do it?

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    According to that service tag number, you have THIS Dell Inspiron 3847 desktop which originally came with Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.
    You should add and save this site in your browser's favorites/bookmarks list so you can quickly refer to it when needed.

According to its "Drivers & Downloads" section, it lists Dell BIOS A10 as an "urgent update".
    It was released in June 2018 and addresses what David discussed in post #3.

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I am not telling to do or not do. I am telling you to study and make an informed decision as to whether or not you need the update.

When I update a bios, it is always done via Qflash or EZFlash which are bios utilities built into the bios. A dell or other big box system does not have this option. You either have to use a windows based flashing utility OR use some type of updater. IMO updating from within windows is the very last way I would ever update a bios however with a big box system, you do not have the choice.

13. Giant Octopus

Wow its from last Summer. Will it still work if I download it now? I'v had numerous Windows10 updates since then. That wont interfere with this BIOS update?

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Windows updates are not bios updates. A bios update updates the firmware on the motherboard. Windows updates are software/driver updates.

15. Giant Octopus

You know what. Maybe I won't update it. I'm just afraid its going to do damage and my computer is working fine as is. Thanks for the replies though everyone. I just wish there was a way to shut off the notifications because every day I keep getting pestered to update.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1224505

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice