1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Built-in webcam stopped working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sgtpepper90, Nov 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sgtpepper90

sgtpepper90 Thread Starter

Hey I bought a dell laptop about three weeks ago (inspiron n5040) and randomly the webcam stopped working today. Dell webcam central is the program that came with the laptop and it says no webcam is connected. Skype says it can't fine one either. I literally have no idea what to do because I've googled dell webcam drivers and haven't found anything. The driver cd that came with the laptop doesn't even have a webcam one and under device manager I can't see a webcam driver Please help!

2. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Did you buy this computer brand new?I would take it back to where you bought it and see why its not working. Im sure that its still under a warranty if it is brand new.It shouldnt be causing problems already.It sounds like either the cam itself has stopped working or that possibly the driver for it got corrupted somehow.

3. sgtpepper90

sgtpepper90 Thread Starter

hey thanks for replying. Well I just got off the phone with dell and i've decided i'm never getting a Dell again. The guy barely understood what I was telling him, they have their call centres in India. He took over my computer with some tech support program and said my webcam files were corrupted and my registry needed proper cleaning. Then he went ahead to tell me I would have to pay for a software support package of at least £169 (like 200 dollars) to get it fixed. I told him it was ridiculous, that this was a new laptop and I shouldn't have to pay to fix it after weeks of buying it, and he was like there's nothing I can do. So is there anything that I can do??

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    If it is that new, the warranty should still be vaild, return it for warranty repair/replacement.

5. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Im sorry you had a bad experience with dell support.Dell makes very good computers but sadly customer service for most of the makers like dell, lenovo, hp, is way below par.As was suggested take it back to where you bought it and go from there.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026044

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice