1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Computer...Receive notice 'Not Genuine Windows"

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Shamou, May 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Shamou

Shamou Thread Starter

I have a computer that I bought from Dell about one year ago. Tonight, an icon in the taskbar tells me that there are some updates ready to be installed. I click on it to have in installed and after a while the installation freezes. I tried to restart the PC... but could not do it. I had to cut off the power to shut it down. When I rebooted, I received a notice saying that my operating system was not genuine and that I would no longer be able to receive updates. I am one hundred percent certain that my operating system is genuine... but, what should I do now???

[​IMG]

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

First of all Call Dell about this and have the COA handy they will ask for that, and also have the receipt for the computer from where it was purchased. I also would check with the place you bought it from and then Microsoft. There have been quite a few legal ones that are told to be illegal but calling these should solve the problem.

A few years ago we had Microsoft show up with the FBI at a market Pro show and haul off 80 % of the vendors for selling illegal OS and computers.

I wish you the best for this and good luck

3. Shamou

Shamou Thread Starter

My PC was bought directly from the company and I have always been able to download the updates until now... and what is a COA?

4. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

COA = Certificate of Authenticity, it is the sticker on your computer with the key code on it. You will need the key code from that for verifying the legality.

Here is a little one that might help explain

What you should look for with genuine Microsoft software http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

5. Shamou

Shamou Thread Starter

Thank you ozrom1e... If anyone else reading this post has had the same problem in the past, I would like to hear from you.

6. holy_saiyan1

holy_saiyan1

I'm beginning to wonder if this is not a problem with WGA, because you are not the first person to complain about updated versions of Geniune Authenication saying that the version of Windows is illegal, and previous versions said nothing.

7. FreekingClueless

FreekingClueless

I have a Dell desktop. Although, I'm not having the precise problem you have, the Windows updates I download automatically often take two or three times to properly install. It shows the file has downloaded, then the update icon just disappears out of the system try. The process begins again on the next reboot, lol. Also, Dell seems to outsource their support over to India, so good look getting help from them.

8. 4harpers

4harpers

I also have a Dell, and the automatic Microsoft updater tried to run tonight and then it said the update failed. I will try to call Dell, but thier support is very difficult to undrstand. The peoplein India do not speak or understand very good English.

9. Old Rich

Old Rich

10. Shamou

Shamou Thread Starter

In my update history, the same update was sent twice by Microsoft's. The first time 3 May 2006 was installed successfully and on 31 May 2006 failed to install and claimed that my OS is not genuine. Can anyone make sense out of this. Thank you.
    [​IMG]

11. Epic

Epic

I can't diagnose your problem, but your story is identical to mine. I have a Gateway, and this update froze my computer. I did a cold reboot and started to have the same problems as you. I'm working on a solution, I'll post if it works.

12. Shamou

Shamou Thread Starter

Thank you Epic... looking forward to hearing from you.... Thanks...

BTW. If I can find anything at this end, I'll notify you.

13. Epic

Epic

I'm not 100% if this solved the problem (I didn't see the notification on my last restart, but I don't know how often it's supposed to happen), but here's something worth a shot. I called 1-800-RU-LEGIT (MS piracy hotline) and spoke to a tech. Halfway through my story, he interrupted and mentioned they're aware of this issue. He gave me two links to follow:

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=52029

The first one seems to validate your copy of Windows. The second one is a support-ticket webpage that lets you input your problem, and it collects some info about your OS. Supposedly, a tech e-mails you afterwards. Just my luck, submitting the ticket on the second link made my computer hang again (it hardly ever freezes). But the first linked worked, and I haven't received the notification again. Give it a try and let me know if you have anything else.

By the way, the Gateway techs (who were less than helpful, as usual) mentioned that many customers have reported problems with Windows Genuine Advisor notifications.

14. Epic

Epic

Just in case you wanted even more confusing details about my situation, I just checked my Windows Update history. My last update is listed as May 11th, the malicious software removal tool. No sign of the WGA update, failed or otherwise. There are no critical updates available for my computer either, so I'm not sure what to make of that.

15. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Have you read the MS link Simpswr gave Shamou?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/471759

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice