1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell D610 Wireless Problems

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mlwesto, Aug 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mlwesto

mlwesto Thread Starter

I have a Dell Latitude D610 running on Windows XP Pro Service Pack 3. I'm currently having problems with my wireless connection; currently there is no icon for a wireless adapter under my network connections tab. Before this problem occurred, I hadn't installed any software or made any changes to my laptop and I was using the built-in wireless card. I've tried a system restore to no avail as well as downloading and installing drivers from the dell website; Please Help!!!!

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    have a look in device manager
    control panel - system - hardware tab - device manager
    click on the + sign under network
    post back what is there
    any ? or ! anywhere in device manager list

also make sure you have not switched the wireless off - one dell its often a function key, not sure which one on your model, i'll see if i can look up

3. mlwesto

mlwesto Thread Starter

Under Network Adapters I have:
    Broadcome NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller #2
    Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection (this has an ! mark next to it)
    Under properties for the wireless card is says "The device cannot start (Code 10)". I've installed and re-installed the driver for this several times! Sometimes my wireless connection will pop up when I reboot but my laptop will freeze up when I try to connect, any advice? BTW, thanks for responding.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    have you tried removing the device from Device manager - right click on the device and uninstall
    Now reboot - windows should detect new hardware and then ask for the driver

the ! means a conflict with another device - have you installed any new hardware at all ?

5. mlwesto

mlwesto Thread Starter

I haven't installed anything other than PCI cardbus driver and a wireless lan driver. I will try your advice, but I do need these drivers if I plan on using my internal wireless card. Do u have any other advice?

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    it may be worth going onto the dell site , and by putting in your TAG number, which is on the machine somewhere, you should be able to get to all the drivers
    Also if you can get online with the machine using a cable rather than wireless the dell site should check the machine out and install all necessary drivers

7. mlwesto

mlwesto Thread Starter

Thanks, but I've already been to the dell site & got the drivers. Some times when I boot up, the drivers are shown in the device manager and other times they don't. Thanks for your help though; do you know of any other forums that may help?

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Did you install the chipset drivers first, then the networking? If not I suggest you uninstall the networking drivers and then install the chipset followed by the networking.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/852489

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice