1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Data Protection woes

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by GGirl73, May 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GGirl73

GGirl73 Thread Starter

I bought online a Dell Latitude 3450 two months ago. It has Windows 7 and 64 bit OS. The computer came already installed (not at my request) with the Dell Data Protection (DDP) programme. Booting up the computer, I went thru the typical wizard installation process of the DDP programme. Naturally, this programme then encrypted my files. A small key icon was overlayed onto the typical file and folder icon to show that the file was encrypted. After a few days I had transferred music onto my ipod but it wouldn’t play because the music files were encrypted. As a result, I went into the DDP Programme and ticked a box to un-encrypt the all of my files (the key icon dissapeared, and I was also able to play the music on my ipod). There were no other issues with any of the files after this - or so I thought.

About a month later (last week), while working on the computer I began receiving a pop up window from DDP programme telling me that there were new policy updates and that I had to sign in with my password to receive these new updates. This window kept popping up every 2 minutes for over an hour, so I decided to uninstall the DDP programme as I didn’t think it was of much use anyway (this was done through usual Control Panel – Programmes & Features). After uninstalling the DDP programme I found that I was locked out of all of my files – word, excel, pdf, jpeg, etc….everything. I was also unable to access Outlook Express and my emails. The various error messages were “you do not have the correct permissions to access the file location” … “access denied” … “user does not have access privileges” … “document may be read only or encrypted” etc. I had a computer repairer manage to get me back into Outlook Express and my emails, but it still doesn’t work properly (not all emails downloaded, format slightly different). I tried to do a system restore from four different restore points (unsuccessfully), and each time I got the message “System Restore did not complete successfully. System Restore failed to extract the file (C:CMGb2ce9.ALT) from the restore point. An unspecified error occurred during system restore”.
    I have then spent the last 4 days on the phone and chat lines with Dell to figure out how to fix the problem. I was told that before I initially uninstalled the programme, I should have disabled the password function. Because I didn’t do this initially, they asked me to reinstall the DDP, find the disable password function, disable the password, then uninstall DDP again. I was unable to successfully download a new version of the DDP (some error occurred), however the icon now appears in my start menu and on my operating system (it won’t successfully load either). However, when I go to Control Panel – Programmes & Features to look for DDP or any of its components to uninstall, it does not exist. The Dell technician tried a few things but these were of no assistance. He finally told me to reformat the system and backup all the necessary data. I am unable to backup any data that is on this new computer. When I try to copy or send any files on the C: drive to a USB/external drive it says I need permission to perform this action. Thankfully, I still have most of my original data backed up, as I only transferred all my files 2 months ago onto the new computer. However, it’s the files I have been working on in the last 2 months that are encrypted that I need assistance with.
    The last Dell technician I spoke with today advised me that when I originally uninstalled DDP without disabling the password function, it created a lock around the current data. When I tried to reinstall a new version of DDP it created a different locking system to the original – so they are not recognising each other. It’s the original locked data that needs un-encrypting, as well as finally uninstalling the stupid DDP programme off the machine entirely.

I have searched high and low for solutions. Any takers on this issue?

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Did you ever get DDP to reinstall? From what you stated above, it's not properly installed. You should start with downloading DDP and getting it installed to follow their first suggestion.

3. GGirl73

GGirl73 Thread Starter

Thanks for replying. I was unable to download DDP again. There was always an error. But the Dell people said a new version of DDP would create a new encryption different from the original.

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    I would suspect they (ie: Dell) should be able to provide you the version of the program installed on your machine. Aside from that, which I'm not sure would work anyway, I don't have any ideas. I have never used encryption, as seems to create numerous issues, like this one, which cannot be resolved.

5. GGirl73

GGirl73 Thread Starter

Dell haven't been very helpful unfortunately. An upload of the program wouldn't work as it creates a new encryption that isn't recognised by the old. Thanks anyway. Hate Dell

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!