Dell Deminsion 2400 Upgrade

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Rebel38668

Hello all.. I am new to this forum. My brother-in-law suggested that I start here. I have looked over the threads and this seems to be the place to get the answers. Ok. Let's get to the skinny of it.

I have a Dell Dimension 2400 that is about 2 years old.

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
System Manufacturer Dell Computer Corporation
System Model Dimension 2400
System Type X86-based PC
Processor Pentium 4 x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~2790 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Dell Computer Corporation A05, 12/2/2003
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB
Hard drive: (1) 40gb and (1) 200 gb

Now here is my question. I am wanting to install a new motherboard. Will other motherboards fit in the Dell tower? If so, which one's?

If I have to buy a new motherboard. Which one will fit my processor and memory?
I am wanting to beef up transfer speed and overall performance of the PC. Thank you in advance for replies.

dustyjay

Jay
Unfortunately Dell Cases such as the Dimension case are rather limited as far as motherboard replacement. You might take a look at another computer (one which was custom built) and compare the I/O's on the back of yours to the other one and notice that the lay out may not be the same. Also Dell uses really under powered Power supplies as well.

So the next thing is, yes you can find a mother board that will use your processor and your ram. And all of the other hardware excpt the case and power supply.

In doing so you will need a case and a power supply. Quality of the power supply is of very high importance. Even more so than quality of the case.

Another thing, even if you were to find a motherboard upgrade to fit your case you would not be able to use the System restore discs or the version of windows that came with the dell. You would have to also purchase at least an OEM version of Windows XP.

Suggestion time. Find some one to buy your Dimension system from you and put that money towards building a new system the way you want it. You will have to add more money to it probably, but then you would have a more up to date system. The thing to think about is what you want from your system and what are your primary and secondary uses for it as well. If you are not a gamer then you dont need a screamer with the most powerful graphics.

Rebel38668

thank you for your reply.

Any suggestions on a motherboard. Brand, Make, Model? I want top of the line if possible.

Thanks

dustyjay

Jay
Usualy cant go wrong with ASUS! you would have to search for a board that is compatible with your processor and your ram unless you want to go with new stuff all way round. THen you decide on a processor and build your system around it.

www.newegg.com is a good place to work with if you are going to purchase online.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online