1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dell desktop not turning on

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by okudel, May 17, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. okudel

okudel Thread Starter

my dell optiplex blinks with amber orange light and can not power on, How do i go about with this critical state

2. lynx1021

lynx1021

Which OptiPlex is it? Usually that is either a power supply or motherboard problem. Do you get any diagnostic lights? or beeps when you power it on? You can try unplugging it, hit the power button a couple of times the plug it back up and try it again. You can remove the video card (if it has one) to see if the symptom changes. If not, reseat the memory as a next step.
    If neither of these help you are back to either the replacement power supply or a motherboard problem.
    My friend bought a used OptiPlex 780MT and about three months after he had it the amber light thing came up, after trouble shooting I ended up replacing the motherboard to fix his. Found a new (old stock) motherboard for $35 on amazon.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    okudel:
    What's the exact 7-character "service tag" number on your Dell OptiPlex?

lynx1021:
    I've bought several refurbished Dell OptiPlex 780 MiniTower's during the past 5 - 6 years, and all of them are still going strong.
    Your friend must've bought a lemon. :cry:

-------------------------------------------------------------

4. lynx1021

lynx1021

flavallee: Yes, I agree the Dell OptiPlex 780 MiniTower Is a good machine for anyone that just does basic stuff. Yes he probably got a bad one in the bunch, I am thankful I was able to get another board for a good price, had it changed out in about 20 min, Upgraded his CPU from a E7500 to a E8600 ($15 from china)while I was there, love how easy it was to flip the heat sink over and change the CPU!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1210333

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice