1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Dimension 2400 Video Driver Issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Discount_Laptops, Apr 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Discount_Laptops

Discount_Laptops Thread Starter

Product Model: Dimension 2400
    Service Tag: 9BWV351

I'm having trouble figuring out which driver to use, the Dell support site lists 4 different possible drivers. I've tried 3 of them, 2 of them worked for a while, then video goes into a horrible mode and/or I get a device driver error message. I can leave it in default 640 mode and it works fine. Can anyone tell me which driver to use, and exactly how to install it?

I tried posting on Dell Support, they deleted my post because I listed the service tag.

2. Arctic2032

Arctic2032

Try the one that you haven't tried yet

3. Discount_Laptops

Every time I try one, I end up reloading the OS, I was hoping someone knew how to get and install the correct driver.

4. Arctic2032

Arctic2032

what exactly is the video card

5. Discount_Laptops

I wish I knew exactly which device it is, neither Windows or the Dell support site can tell me.

6. Discount_Laptops

7. Arctic2032

Arctic2032

go to start, right click on my computer, go to properties, hardware, device manager, display adapters

8. Discount_Laptops

Comes up under Other Devices with a yellow question mark because Windows can't identify it.

9. Arctic2032

Arctic2032

right click on that and click on update driver, than follow what it says

10. Discount_Laptops

Still have to know which driver to update it with, it will let me pick the wrong one, tried that already.

11. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

windows help is worthless in this case.

the different drivers have an application for more than one machine, your tag is uniqe and they should be able to make a best guess as to which one is correct.

1 of what was listed should work.

some of the tech folks are better than others.

when i did this dance on a dell desktop i had to dl chipset, video, sound and ethernet drivers to get everything working. chipset installed 1st. see below.

i downloaded the drivers on another computer and drug them to a usb stick.

inserting the usb stick in the desktop, opening/clicking on the driver started the install and just follow the prompts.

12. Discount_Laptops

Resolved! At least I hope

Tried to do update driver, and checked the internet option on the first page.

Well, that identified the driver as the first one 82945.

It loaded that one, which immediately crashed the machine with a blue screen.

So I restarted in last know config, then went back to support.dell.com and downloaded and installed that same driver. So far it's working.

This is the biggest PIA Dell I've worked on.

13. gghartman

gghartman

use the driver cd that should have come with the machine. it will scan the machine and point to the graphics driver for that machine.

14. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

dell hasn't put drivers on the cd for a long time that's why the choice of 4.

the ob video could be dying.

15. gghartman

gghartman

bearone2

gotta tell you that your wrong about dell not making a driver cd. i am a dell reseller and i always get a driver cd and have been for years. use to be called the resource cd but now its a pretty blue cd along with the diagnostics. laptops as well as desktops.

at one time they tried forcing people to create their own when they got the machine but that didnt fly to well then they tried charging 10.00 for the cd's and that didnt work to well now they just include them. this includes the xp cd, drivers and diagnosics, sonic cd, dvd cd.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/556914

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice