1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Dimension 2400

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Airesz, Nov 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Airesz

Airesz Thread Starter

I have a Dell Dimension 2400 computer. This system comes with an Intel Celeron 2.7 GHz processor 256 MB of ram and a 70GB hard drive. The other day I was reinstalling Windows Xp on this system. Everything was going ok for about 30 minutes when all of the sudden the computer just shut itself off. I did some investigating and found that my heatsink was so hot to the touch I could not hold it without a pair of gloves on. I removed the heatsink and processor and I noticed that the thermal compound was very runny almost like water.

I have not had any issues before this with this computer. Can anyone inform me why my heatsink got that hot and why my thermal past got like that?

I am going to apply new Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound.

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

Check your fan. With the Dell passiver cooling system the fan must be working perfectly to pull enough air across the heatsink for cooling. I don't recall exactly how any air inlets are arranged on the chassis, but pull the front cover and make sure everything is clean for air to enter the case.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650864

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice