1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Dimension 4400 won't turn on

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jake1924, Nov 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jake1924

Jake1924 Thread Starter

Hi,

My system was dead and I thought it was the power supply. Staples put a new one in and it has been working fine since then. Now yesterday, it just shut down. I turned it on again and it clicked off. All the lights on the back of the dell were green and no beeps or anything like that. Now when I turn it on I see the green light on the MB but it seems dead.

No lights ABCD... lighting up on the back of the PC anymore. I researched this a little and read of many 4400 problems like this but no one had a solution. Some are saying the power options are putting the system to sleep, and that's why the monitor is staying amber and not going on. I am going to try a new 3v battery with my fingers crossed but something is telling me there is more going on here.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

If the power supply is relatively new, take it back to Staples and have them test it with their power supply tester.

3. Jake1924

Jake1924 Thread Starter

Okay, but I do see the light on the back when it is plugged in so I didn't think it was that. Does the dell dimension 4400 need a certain power supply or will any do?

Thank you!

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

You would need to measure it, but I believe it would be close to a standard ATX unit.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm assuming that old desktop is still running Windows XP.

Go into Control Panel - Power Options, then set the power scheme to "Always On", then set all the other settings to "Never", then turn off the Hibernation feature, then click Apply - OK, then restart the computer.

Doing this will prevent the desktop and monitor from going into sleep/suspend/standby/hibernate mode - which can be problematic for some older computers.

----------------------------------------------------------

6. Jake1924

Jake1924 Thread Starter

Hey Thanks so much for helping me out. I have read and researched this on the web and have been reading that a a lot! The sleep and Hibernating problem. Now the problem is I can't get the thing to go on. I mean it is on and the fans are going but the monitor and pc won't boot up. I left it off for a day and then just a little while ago powered it on and it booted! I plugged in the mouse and it shutdown!

I know a bit about computers and have never ran into a problem like this. But it's driving me crazy!!! LOL I even hooked up a new CMOS battery, and was smart enough to disconnet the HD so none of the settings change. Then I turned on the PC and it actually booted to the desktop. I was so happy! Then I made the mistake of plugging in the friggin mouse! Not so happy anymore!

Help! I am slowly losing my mind! LOL

Do you know of anyway for me to get it started so I can change the power options?

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I have no idea why your computer shuts down when you connect or disconnect the mouse.

Are you using a PS/2 or USB mouse?

-------------------------------------------------------

8. win2kpro

win2kpro

You should still have the power supply tested. Because it's new or relatively new doesn't mean it's good. A power supply putting out low voltage on the +5v rail would cause the problems you are having since the +5v rail is used by both USB and PS2 connectors for power. Also, the +5v rail controls the starting and stopping of the machine.

You could take the tower into Staples on any other shop and have the power supply tested. It takes all of 5 minutes to test. If the power supply tests good the next most likely item is defective start/stop circuitry on the motherboard.

9. Jake1924

Jake1924 Thread Starter

The standard mouse wasn't working, so I put in the USB and the PC shut down. I thought it wasn't a coincidence. Isn't it all connected to the mother board? The mouse and USB ports.

Anyway... I am bring it back to staples, so they can check out this power supply. I hope it is bad because nothing else makes sense!

I mean how can a PC run great for almost two weeks, with a new PS and then just shut off. And it boots up intermittently... I never had a PC do this to me before. So strange and I want so bad to get to the bottom of this. I want to know who the culprit is! LOL

The motherboard has power and all the capacitors look okay. All wires from the PS are hooked up correctly. I changed the CMOS battery. Re-seated all the cards, cleaned out the whole system, dust...ect.

The power button is green and stays on but the back lights, ABCD, never light up at all like it is dead. Only intermittently , when the PC actually boots up. I called Dell and of course they told me I need a new motherboard. I hadn't even giving them the detail yet!

Thanks for all your help here. I appreciate it!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025312

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice