1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Dimension 8100 desktop -- BSOD after rebuild

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by KFreeland, Feb 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KFreeland

KFreeland Thread Starter

I've been trying to bring my husband's older Dell 8100 P4 desktop back to life. It was an old ME system initially. I've done the following:

* Replaced the motherboard and ide cables
    * New CMOS battery
    * Flashed BIOS
    * Replaced and upgraded the memory
    * Reformatted the harddrive (using another system) and loaded Win XP Pro

I've used this same harddrive (with XP Pro) sucessfully on another Dell so I know there is nothing wrong with the boot files. But when I install it in the broke Dell...no joy.

It hangs in the "Windows can not start normally" pick Safe Mode, Last Known Good Config...etc loop. None of the options work and it flashes a quick BSOD dump error (too fast for me to see) and then back through the loop.

The BIOS recognizes all the drives, the memory, processor, etc.

I also tried to boot with alot of the extra hardware removed (removed NIC, sound card, modem, un-hooked optical drives, etc) --- still same no-boot loop.

I do not want to give up -- and at this point, I just want to concur it if nothing else. I'd appreciate any ideas.

Thanks,
    Kristine

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Welcome,

Try re-installing Windows using that PC.

3. KFreeland

KFreeland Thread Starter

Looks like I'll need to use a bootable floppy because the CD drive doesn't spin. Ran out of tinkering time today so will try that later.

However, I hate to wipe the drive because it contains a legal single use copy of XPpro (obtained from MSDN Academic Alliance) and I don't think I can reuse the key -- yes, believe it or not, I'm an IT student (but very green) :eek:

Something weird though -- just for the heck of it, I installed another harddrive (one with a functional copy of Win 98SE) and the POS booted up.

Wonder why it is protesting the HD with WinXP? I've tried it in at least 3 other desktops with no boot problems.

Thanks!

4. bonk

bonk Banned

It will be that particular PC.....if you had partitioned and formatted using that PC there would not be a problem...it's because you used another PC and then tried it on this one...unless the PCs are exactly the same hardware etc..there will be a problem.

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Agree with bonk

You cannot install XP on a PC, then fit the installed version HDD on another PC unless the hardware (in terms of all chipsets etc) are 100% identical (even then it will cry foul and need reactivation).

BSOD's are the protection method to prevent damage to the chipsets as you ram all the wrong code into them at boot time.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541456

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice