Dell dimension 8200 DVD and CD Devices

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

pl2959

I have problem for hardware of DVD and CD-RW drive in my dimension 8200. Suddently, those drives were gone. I didn't see them in "my computer". I checked device manager, and see "yellow !" on those devices. There has a message under property that cannot find the hardware and code 41. I attached an external DVD-RW and didn't show up in my computer neither. I tried to change another IDE cable, still has problem. Anyone can help me and give me idea to fix it. Thank you very much.

I have had three Dells in the shop lately with disapearing CD/DVD's . . anyone else see a rash of these? . . wonder if a recent update is causing this? ?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Create a text file with the following stuff in it exactly as below and name it FIXCD.REG

Double click on the file and say yes to the merge into registry question.

----------------------- cut after this line, contents of FIXCD.REG -----------------------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
"UpperFilters"=-
"LowerFilters"=-

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_2K]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdralw2k]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdudf]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UdfReadr]

pl2959

I followed microsoft instruction to delete all "upperfilters" and "lowerfilters". After reboot, I saw those drives. How can I set up to autorun CD when I put in? Because CDs are not run automatically after I insert.

Norton850 and others, thank you very much for your quick reply and BIG help. :)

To change how your computer handles multimedia content
Open My Computer.
Under Devices with Removable Storage, right-click the device you want, such as a digital camera or CD-ROM drive, and then click Properties.
On the AutoPlay tab, click the multimedia content type you want to change.
Under Actions, click the action you want Windows to perform when it detects the media type you selected.
Notes

pl2959

I check the properties of the device, but I am not sure which action should I choose because I did not see the content of regular CD with autorun file like "setup program CD". I only see some audio, picture and DVD type under the content. Thanks.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online